formatting hard drive

Ok, if it activated with the old HP XP you're alright. Whew scared me.

Are you sure it's activated? No annoying "do you want ot activate message" at start up telling you how many days are left?

If the old HP Windows is tied to your old hardware you are screwed and have to buy a new XP but if you made it past activation you are ok.

Here's a link about activation. The OEM section several paragraphs down talks about the new raw deal.

http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

ok thanx u guy i am going to the computer store to pick up some blank cd's and a new version of xp

So you have the new system up and running and just want to reformat the old disk so you can use it because it's bigger?

That's a different question. Windows recognizes that people upgrade HDs and there is an option to transfer the system. Let me check and see what it will do if there is a Windows already installed on the replacement disk.

oh here i will post my sys specs
asus sli delux
winchester 3500+
512 mb of pc 467 duel channel
evga 66gt (going to duel 66 gt's once i get the $)
maxtor 120 gb sata( going to duel with raid 0 once i get the money)
7 case fans

Picking up the backup cd blanks and backing up your data and music is a good idea regardless of how you swap HDs.

no i have to reinstall b/c my hard drive is all messed up and most of my stuff wont work correctly b/c the version of xp is only set up for one computer(the hp that it came with)

Oh well, the files and settings transfer wizard won't work in your ccase since the old PC is dead. Bummer. You get to do it the hardway.

It would probably help to start up the files and setting transfer wizard. It gives you a list of things that need to be transfered in case I forgot something. The wizard is on the Windows CD.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/crawford_november12.mspx

knowledgebase article on the wizard

Its on the Windows XP CD. Stick in the CD. It should auto start. Select Perform Additional Tasks. It's under that, half way down the list.

And while I have it loaded I think I'll do a settings back up...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back