Formatting Drive

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by omgsoup, Jul 22, 2002.

1. omgsoup

omgsoup OSNN Senior Addict

right, so i'm about to do a clean install of XP Pro using an XP pro upgrade. i've backed up important files, and some install programs. so to format my drive, all i have to do is go to "c:\windows" and type in "fdisk"? and it'll go go go? and when i put back my saved files, say, emails, i just need to know the folders where they are kept, and just paste them there, and nothing bad will happen, and i'll find all my emails as i left them? or do i need to set up the email addresses before i do that?

2. padybalz

padybalz Guest

3. omgsoup

omgsoup OSNN Senior Addict

right, i have my importatn files burned on a cd, but i can just take the files (i'm most concerned with my outlook emails, b/c the rest is just like saved game files, and those are simple enough) so i just install outlook express, and know the filepath the original emails were contained in, and the open up that same file path once i've reformatted, and put the files from the back up there? and do i need to create the users on outlook before i do that, or will it not really mess anything up?

4. padybalz

padybalz Guest

fwd all your emails to one account then after you format and install, recheck your mail and you'll have everything

5. Jewelzz

Jewelzz OSNN Godlike Veteran

Moved to Hardware

6. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Use the Transfer Files and Settings Wizard to save all your mails and documents. If you don't have XP installed now, insert the XP CD and run it from there (it's in the CD menu).