formating the drive

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by mafiafromrussia, Jul 14, 2002.

1. i was wondering on how to format. i got 2 partitions witn WIN ME on FAT32 and WIN XP on NTFS. so what i want to know is how do i get to erase everything and install xp all over again.

2. OK ZERO COOL, the best thing to do is:

Boot your computer with a bootable XP CD and delete all the partitions and creat a new partition, then format using either FAT or NTFS.

You can also, boot the computer using a win (98, ME, 2K, XP) boot disk and use the fdisk command to delete all the partitions and then create new partitions. Then use format command to format and install your new OS!

3. i think i should've specified that i dont want to do anything to WIN ME and FAT32 partition. all i want to know if how do i format that NFTS partition with WIN XP on it , so later i can install xp from WIN ME again.

4. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Do what "R" MAN AUDIO said: "Boot your computer with a bootable XP CD and delete all the partitions and creat a new partition, then format using either FAT or NTFS. "

When you boot up with the cd just format the partition with xp on it. Leave ME alone.

5. where do i get that bootable cd? or i just get that file "XP Professional Boot Disks Maker" from downloads section?

6. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

The bootable CD is your plain old WinXP install CD

JJB6486

7. MdSalih

MdSalih The Boss

you can install straight from yer XP CD - (bootable)... no real need for any other boot disks...

MdSalih

8. allright thanks for info. now i just have to find where i put that xp cd :)

9. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Make sure you've got the cd key number. Without it you are.....well......stuffed. ;)

10. dont worry, i've got couple of them in here just incase :)