formating active drive.....

B

banter

HI, i am tring to format my main hard drive and don't know much about formatting so could someone please give me instructions ( please keep it simple ) on how to do it ..

Thanks.

stick winxp cd in cdrom reboot

oh yea an change boot order
cdrom before hdd

Either use a Win 98 boot disk and format from the command prompt or do as the above post suggests:

1) Insert the Win XP cd in the drive
2) Go into BIOS and put the CD at the top of the boot order
3) Reboot - you'll be given the option of formatting before installing
4) Install
5) When done, remember to change the boot order back.

whoah.if you turn back to the original boot it will probably be the floppy .you want to boot from the hard drive (fastest ,once you have installed windows mind,then the cd rom then whatever the third boot device might be probably the floppy)but the first post is correct boot from the cd and follow the instructions ,you can then format and partition from the cd to your hearts content:D

Originally posted by sparky
whoah.if you turn back to the original boot it will probably be the floppy .you want to boot from the hard drive (fastest ,once you have installed windows mind,then the cd rom then whatever the third boot device might be probably the floppy)but the first post is correct boot from the cd and follow the instructions ,you can then format and partition from the cd to your hearts content:D
Huh?

Aside from the fact I don't know where you got "original boot" from, it is always preferable to have the floppy at the top of the chain (even though I never suggested that before this post). The system will only take a couple of seconds to look for the floppy before going to the HD, and if you ever need to short-circuit the hd boot the easiest way is to insert a bootable floppy.

nooooo!!!!!!!!!!

you are right to say this but if the guy doesnt really know much about formatting the last thing he wants to do is boot into dos with a windows 98 disk and format/f disk etc thats much too tricky for a novice the easiest way is to boot foom the cd rom and follow the instructions.the fastest way to boot to xp is with the hdd, a bootable floppy huh! if he wants just leave the cd rom as the first boot and boot from that if he gets any problems why oh why would he want to boot from the floppy thats so old . i admit that it still has some uses but this is xp which doesnt have dos and he really doesnt need five bootable floppy disks:cool:

Originally posted by sparky
nooooo!!!!!!!!!!

you are right to say this but if the guy doesnt really know much about formatting the last thing he wants to do is boot into dos with a windows 98 disk and format/f disk etc thats much too tricky for a novice .......:
1) The cammand to format from a Win98 boot disk is format c: (assuming you want to forma the c: drive)

2) You never go near fdisk to format assuming the disk is already partitioned - and clearly his is.

Too tricky?

like he says hehe doesnt know much about formatting .it may be alright for the likes of you ........ but if hes never been near a dos screen....!!!!!! but then again were only here to offer advice and i wouldnt do it that way so its really six and three twos isnt it:D

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back