Format New Harddrive n n Transfer Files

ste_w

OSNN Senior Addict
Hi all

Ive just got a new harddrive for my Second PC which the HD is bout to fail as making horrible clicking noise n wont boot up for ages, anyway ive got a new HD now how do i format this HD to NTFS?

I also want to Take Everything off the Harddrive which is bout to fail and put it on the new HD Everything being Literally everything XP Pro, Games, The lot is this possible n what software Free or Purchase do i need? is Partition Magic one of them?

Also a guide to the Format Process would be great lol

Please Help

Thanx Ste_W

Can Someone please help The Hard drive wont last too long i dont think

Have you got it installed? Drives are often supplied pre-formatted these days, but it should still be no problem - if the drive is installed and assigned a drive letter then go to admin tools - storage and you'll find it from there, although you may well want to invest in something like PartitionMagic if you want to manage the drive and maybe have a separate windows and data partition and be able to change paritioning with no data loss etc.

Below is a paste from Windoze help:-
To format a basic volume
Open Computer Management (Local).
Right-click the partition, logical drive, or basic volume you want to format (or reformat), and then click Format.
Select the options you want, and then click OK.
Notes

To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
In the console tree, click Disk Management.
Where?

Computer Management (Local)
Storage
Disk Management

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.
You cannot format the system or boot partition.
Compression is supported only on NTFS volumes.
Quick format removes files from the disk but does not scan the disk for bad sectors. Use this option only if this disk has been previously formatted and you are sure the disk is not damaged.

My Dad Got the Hard drive and the Guy said may need to Format using FDISK?

and which is Better Partition Magic 8 or Norton Ghost 2003 i think theres a 2004 somewhere? so does either of the above products copy absolute everything from the Primary Drive? and if so once it copies the Image can i just switch the Secondary HD To Master and thats all? as the Secondary will have the image of the master on?

Ste_W

so wat ur sayin is, plug new HD in, use it as Secondary, let windows load, format New HD while in XP? wont the comp detect the new HD on Bootscreen and ask me to do something tho?

go to the website for the drive and download there drive tools, its free and has a disk to disk copy feature.

whoa - one step at a time and a little planning here! Perhaps I replied too quickly and should have made a more considered post.

First things first - Partition Magic and Ghost are two different tools - if you want to make a comparison with ghost then DriveImage is the one you would compare with. All Partition Magic does is help you add/merge/change partitions kinda "on the fly" so without needing to go to some lengths to back up all the data on there before you change things around.

Now I first thought you were aiming to simply save all your data before the drive went kaput on you..... later posts lead me into thinking you'd like to make the new disc your primary. This is all doable but you need to work out your strategy carefully first and make sure it is workable (there have been other threads on this and you may want to dig around for them with some searches).

Now If you were using PartitionMagic and DriveImage you could take your 120GB drive (I am assuming they're the drives in your sig) and make two partitions on it, then driveimage your 60GB drive to one of them and then in theory switch the 120GB drive to primary and boot to that partition - you need to make it the boot partition too I think and that's the only part I'm not sure about.

A lot of people in your position mught elect to go for a clean install to the new drive as primary - you can keep the old as slave and get back what you want from it.

Those are my immediate thoughts - hope that's enough for you to make your pllan OK, post if you have problems, lots of others here have been through this too...

mines a Sumsung SP0802 Series, only thing there is a Version 1.0 Driver and the User Manual, No DISK to Disk Feature?

Which is better than Ghost 2003 or Partition Magic 8?

Right ok so if i got Partition Magic i could Drive image my Master and store the image on the secondary? Making the Secondary an Exact copy of the master, then unplug the secondary an boot up as normal...is this correct? and the drives aint on my comptuter, the Master on the comp this is happenin to is a 30GB and the new HD is an 80GB

If making an exact copy is not possible how about just copying windows over?

Still a slight misunderstanding - you would need PartitionMagic for the partitioning (although you COULd use native formatting also if data is not a concern and you do not anticipate changing your partitioning later) and you would need DriveImage (separate product) for the imaging.

Then I believe that yes - the scenario is a valid one.

But when you say "copy windows over" this makes no sense - you'd be better simply installing windows to the new drive. But a word of caution - I've heard BAD things about the partitioning option presented to you on wndows installation.

Do check some other threads out too....

ste_w said:
Hi all

Ive just got a new harddrive for my Second PC which the HD is bout to fail as making horrible clicking noise n wont boot up for ages, anyway ive got a new HD now how do i format this HD to NTFS?

I also want to Take Everything off the Harddrive which is bout to fail and put it on the new HD Everything being Literally everything XP Pro, Games, The lot is this possible n what software Free or Purchase do i need? is Partition Magic one of them?

Also a guide to the Format Process would be great lol

Please Help

Thanx Ste_W
Visit douggie, he has plenty of help and little files that take a lot of heart break out of the simpliest tasks.

There is a file for changing format of drive.

www.dougknox.com

This may be a good time for a reinstall of windows. If all your games and apps are legit you should just reinstall them on your new drive. As for your data (letters homework and music files) you can transfer them to your new drive by making the old drive a slave or put it on the the other ide chanel.

drz01 said:
This may be a good time for a reinstall of windows. If all your games and apps are legit you should just reinstall them on your new drive. As for your data (letters homework and music files) you can transfer them to your new drive by making the old drive a slave or put it on the the other ide chanel.

That's what I'd do. If the old drive is/was dying the OS is probably ready to be reinstalled anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back