forgot how to do this, can someone remind me

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Engineer, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Engineer

Engineer OSNN Addict

How do I;

delete MSN Messenger from my system/XP

and

delete those annoying internet games (i.e. checkers etc)

Just did a fresh install of XP and I am now tweaking the system.

Oh! By the way, Can I get rid of the XP "Welcome" Screen to ( i think there is a way to delete/by pass it.

Thanks
    Engineer

2. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

Hi Engineer,

You can goto Add/Remove programs and on the left side, you will find remove windows components tab, click on that. Uncheck the stuff you want removed.

Heeter

3. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

This is the information from XPerience (bot in #ntfs channel) on how to remove MSN Messenger

To uninstall Windows Messenger run the following line: RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%INFmsmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove from START->RUN. Or, edit Windows/inf/sysoc.inf: find the line msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7 and remove hide, so you have msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7 then Windows Messenger will appear in Windows Components under Add/Remove Programs

4. Engineer

Engineer OSNN Addict

I'm not that good

Thanks for the advice Geffy but there must be a easier way to do it, like an uninstall file or something. In your instructions are you refering to going to the registry to remove the Hide line and if so where in the registry.

thanks
    Engineer

5. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

I think if you have SP1 installed then it comes up in the Add/Remove programs anyways.

If it doesnt then you can get X-Setup from http://www.xteq.com I think you can unhide apps using that, or you can remove them with that I cant quite remember.

6. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

windows key+r

paste this;

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Reboot

7. Engineer

Engineer OSNN Addict

I'm not that good

Thanks for the advice Geffy but there must be a easier way to do it, like an uninstall file or something. In your instructions are you refering to going to the registry to remove the Hide line and if so where in the registry.

thanks
    Engineer

8. Engineer

Engineer OSNN Addict

thanks

Thanks guys, your great!

Engineer.

9. yoyo

yoyo _________________

To your second question, to bypass the Welcome screen go to control panel - user accounts - change the way users log in - and untick "Use Welcome screen". This brings back Win2k style login. However it does also disable fast user switching, means only one user can be logged in at a time and ctrl+alt+del will no longer bring up taskmanager but a security dialog (incl. task manager).

Just reread your question. If you want XP to directly login to an user account, this can be done using TweakUi (Logon - Autologon).

10. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

I also find no differance in bootspeed with this dissabled

to me, the welcome screen soothes me, in knoing my booot is going alon so far, nicely...without the screen, I wait in anticipation