For those who are annoyed with

I've moved two clients from Mac to PC-based environments (one in 2006 and one in 2007). =)

I'm not going to turn this into one of those threads, but I can do just as well with my PC-based system. [=

I've moved two clients from Mac to PC-based environments (one in 2006 and one in 2007). =)

They should have fired you. Better change your contact info before they start to regret it. :p

NR, the big question is, did you disable it and leave it disabled? =]
I've never disabled UAC on either of my Vista machines.
I did disable it when I was testing some of the earlier beta builds, but only after sending feedback about what I thought was annoying and why. :)

I'm not going to turn this into one of those threads, but I can do just as well with my PC-based system. [=

I have done it the other way around. For small offices, Mac OS X just offers loads of advantages from an administrative standpoint, especially when the guy doing IT is also doing Design of the program (from a software engineer standpoint, not GUI standpoint)

sigh it's so frustrating watching threads like these degenerate into the PC vs Mac argument on absolutely no grounds. Apple have always made fun of Microsoft, it's how they work. It doesn't change the fact that they build VERY good software and hardware. Also, the 'UAC' in OS X is much less intrusive - once the application is allowed system access, it doesn't keep bothering the user with prompts. This is important for two reasons:
* One, that it MUCH less annoying to know what's going on with your computer because of:
* Two, blasting the user with message boxes just desensitises them from the fact that those dialogs are SUPPOSED to be there for their protection. In the end, people will just try to look for a way to disable it rather than have to deal with it all the time. I know most casual PC users would.

In conclusion, learn your facts before making such massive generalisations such as "Macs are good for fun stuff, and i don't know what your business is, but if its music/video/fun stuff, then yes, mac is for that". Ten bucks says you don't even read your UAC prompts anymore (though you'd never admit it). A Mac is just as capable (if not more) a machine as a PC. In fact, there's many features in OS X that, once you get used to them, you curse Windows for not having. That said, Vista's gone and done it's own way of some of those (e.g. searchable start menu), but it's still not quite as user friendly as OS X.

Apple doesn't make hardware, Asus and Foxxcom make apple hardware. The same people that make Dell hardware.

Apple software (made by apple) is usually lacking in someway so that they don't compete with the software vendors that develop for the mac.

The reason people look down on Apple is largely for two reasons: 1) for a long time they were only good for video and music post production and DTP work. and 2) they overcharge for what you get.

You will only get teased for buying a mac if you bought it for the wrong reasons.

Apple puts the hardware together and that's pretty much the point.

Microsoft software is ALWAYS sorely lacking, this isn't something specific to Apple. From day one when I first started my Mac, I was able to do a lot more out of the box than if you get a vanilla Windows machine.

Reason 1) is largely antiquated, but you've acknowledged that as for overcharged, yes they are pricey. It really depends on if you think the features of the Mac are worth it to you. I honestly think that for me and what I do with them (which has nothing to do with video/photo editing), then - yes, they do.

Lastly, what exactly ARE the wrong reasons? Simply checking emails and so forth (for instance) is a wrong reason for buying a Mac? Or maybe it's.... software development.... or maybe... photo editing? Who cares what your reasons are - they're no more wrong than the ones for buying a Dell.

My point for the last post was the misinformed posts by other users simply used to flame, not for constructive criticism.

*Edit* I can see about the price point for you US users. In Australia, Dells appear to be a lot more expensive and a similar Dell machine to a Macbook actually comes up close to the same prices.

Last edited:
My point for the last post was the misinformed posts by other users simply used to flame, not for constructive critisism.

You do make some solid points and I'm very much in agreement with you.

Just to clarify, those more recent posts directed at specific people were very much in a spirit of fun, not serious flaming. I just realized that not everyone reading the thread might know of the relationships between the members. :)

lol, my bad. :)

Sorry, this argument fires me up sometimes.

I really do love this Ad, cracks me up each time I see it :p

Damn I don't have quicktime on my pc. :p

brilliant

norton 'you idiot!!! your file is f***ing gone!!!!'

I remember that video from a few years ago -- loved it. That was before I had a Mac, fortunately the experience is a bit different now. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back