For Speed and Alec

Z

ZipTriX

When are you guys going to finish the patch for Speeddisk? My boot time sucks and bootvis isn't working. Microsoft's website provides no help for it. :mad:

Hey Speed check it out "This user's mailbox is currently full, and cannot be sent any messages until it is cleaned out. An email has been sent notifying the user of this. Please try your request at a later time." You might want to empty it :p

Originally posted by AlecStaar
Speed4Ever's been my tester thusfar on it & has shown the MOST interest in it... he's big on Disk defragger programs!

Here's his latest feedback to me in email, we have one more thing to look at basically:

Subject:
RE: Speed Disk=Sweet! APK REPLY... apk
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2001 22:32:09 -0600
Wrom:
"J Peter" <xxxr@xxx.xxx>
To:
"'APK'" <akowals1@twcny.rr.com>

Will do!

Hey, just noticed this. Can you check out these settings I've attached?

It has setting for the MFT slackspace, etc. I'm wondering if we can do something with this, or if it gives you any insight into the MFT
problem. I think this might get us somewhere.

Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

MY ANSWER TO THAT WAS THIS:

add these entries manually to EITHER the unmoveables section in Speedisk's unmoveables registry section, or to layout.ini manually if need be with a text editor, again, saving in std. text format:

MFT$ & Metadata entries:

$MFT
$Logfile
$Bitmap
$MFTMirr
$Upcase
$Boot
$AttrDef

* :)

( I believe that is the answer COMPLETE to your question in the letter I am replying to here...)

APK

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the most part, I am under the impression it is working for him as it is for me... allowing Speedisk to work WITH XP BootOptimization/OptimalLayout features TOGETHER & EVEN SIMULTANEOUSLY...

I did not get the attachment he wrote of in the last letter, but that is not a huge problem either. MFT$ slackspace, & metafiles, are SUCH shortlived in 'current state' mostly that even working on that in my opinion, might be a waste of time. BUT, if I have to I can make entries for that to tell Speedisk to steer clear of that as well.

He wrote Norton/Symantec about it, I am waiting for their feedback... I would even send them the sourcecode to finish it up if need be to add to a "Live-Update" to the Speedisk program or as an add-on to it to run once during Shell logon & then vanish at each bootup after running invisibly.

For those that use Speedisk.exe? You must note, not only does the SDNTC.exe run, but also NOPDB.exe runs as well as its service! This add on would not even do that, remaining resident... one short burst run @ startup & it is done feeding Speedisk what to steer clear of when you start it!

* You will have to wait on his feedback at this point: I have it working with layout.ini formatted as straight std. text or Unicode formatted text as well.

:)

APK

P.S.=> Either way works, if layout.ini is in either text format... but is faster if done in std. text. Unicode adds hassles to my program parsing it I feel... What it does, is tell Speedisk to IGNORE FILES THAT XP BootOptimization/OptimalLayout works on during your uptime of shell logon operations. That way they both work together in harmony rather than getting into "Tug of Wars" on certain files that XP Optimizes in layout.ini as its lists of files it works on... apk

Ok just wondering so in the meantime i turned off the speeddisk service.

Alex,

You got PM :D

Sorry, my outgoing email seems to be on the fritz for some reason. It's probably my ISP...

I did not get the attachment he wrote of in the last letter, but that is not a huge problem either.

Well, why didn't you say so? :D

Heres what I sent you...

-----------------------------

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Speed Disk\Local Settings\Drive Option Sets\_Default\C:]
"eOptimizationMethod"=dword:00000000
"bUseMsMoveFile"=dword:00000000
"dateDeltaThresholdForFreqAccess"=hex:00,00,00,00,70,a7,fa,c0
"nMaxBytesPerStreamMove"=dword:00080000
"nMaxBytesPerTotalMove"=dword:00200000
"nPixelMapRefreshSecs"=dword:00000003
"nPreferMinimumPullBytes"=dword:00040000
"nPreferMinimumPushBytes"=dword:00040000
"nLeavePlacedIfLargerBytes"=dword:00008000
"nSlackSpaceBetweenClassesAtVolFront"=dword:000000c8
"nSlackSpaceBetweenClassesAtVolEnd"=dword:0000000a
"nEvacuationAllocationMillisecs"=dword:00009c40
"nNtfsTempAllocationMillisecs"=dword:00004e20

----------------------------

I'm not sure what to make of it, but it look interesting. Especially the "bUseMsMoveFile". Is that telling it to use the MoveFile API?

That could be interesting.

BTW, in case you didnt get my PM, the MFT still gets moved to the top, even with your directions.

:mad:

Originally posted by ZipTriX
When are you guys going to finish the patch for Speeddisk? My boot time sucks and bootvis isn't working. Microsoft's website provides no help for it. :mad:

Hey Speed check it out "This user's mailbox is currently full, and cannot be sent any messages until it is cleaned out. An email has been sent notifying the user of this. Please try your request at a later time." You might want to empty it :p

Yeah, I noticed that, already taken care of.

I wasnt aware that the quota was that low.

Re: Re: For Speed and Alec

Originally posted by Speed4Ever

Yeah, I noticed that, already taken care of.

I wasnt aware that the quota was that low.

you can't be that popular ;)

Re: Re: Re: For Speed and Alec

Originally posted by ZipTriX

you can't be that popular ;)

I only had like 12 messages. Like I said, the quota must be set pretty low...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back