For All Your Computer Parts Needs.

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by Taggert_LOA, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Taggert_LOA

Taggert_LOA Modding Addict Political User

I apologize if i am violating any terms or conditions of this site, but i am so damned excited about this i had to share it, I am Upgrading my fiance's pc. from a Gateway Essential 733c to a Frankenstein 1.7ghz Celeron Processor, New MB the whole works. The only Problem i had was that the current PSU is only 90W. I needed at least 300w. so just go buy one right? well not so fast. i haven't told you about the case yet. It's a Gateway Matx Slimline Case, which means i have 2 options, buy a new case, or not. Since I worked my ass off to get the right air flow in the case to prevent the overheating i was having. (old Post Heating Issue in matx case) I figured i'll just buy a 300w Matx power supply. well the company i am buying the new MB and Cpu from told me they don't carry any and don't know if anyone does. well i spent 3 days on the web looking for one and i came across it! it's at a site called PCDirect.com and it was only 18.00 with FREE shipping! so i just wanted to let everybody know they carry just about everything and the prices are awesome. Hope you all find this information helpful.
    Thanks for Reading.

2. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

hmm... a 300watt PSU for $18? what brand?

3. Taggert_LOA

4. Xie

Arrow? perhaps thats why the price :p

5. Taggert_LOA

here is a pic of it.

6. Taggert_LOA

is there something wrong with that?

7. Taggert_LOA

From what i know they are all made from the same parts in the same countries and all you wind up paying for is a label someone slaps on it to make you thinks it better than the rest.

8. Xie

I'm not aware of anything wrong w/ that brand its just not a "name brand" in the PSU market is all ... being is the PSU is one of the most important pieces I myself would go name brand. Oh and all PSU's aren't created equal sadly. :(

9. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

actually when it comes to psu's you tend to get what you pay for..

the name-brand companies (ie antec/enermax and the lot) are using higher quality components and when they say 400W... they are talking about peak... yes.. but they are also talking about a higher sustainable average output...

multiple tests have shown this to be true... the name-brand psu's actually produce adequate power and have tighter tolerances than the no-brand ones :) like i said... due to the quality of the components..

unless you use a dell psu... afaik dell psu's are listed @ lower wattage but they hit this wattage CONSISTENTLY and are actually capable of a higher peak..

I have personally never heard of arrow but hang on to that warranty would be my suggestion..

10. Taggert_LOA

considering it's for a low end machine, i don't see the problem here,
    antec and enermax don't seem to make one for an Matx at that wattage the highest enermax makes is 250w. that's not enough for what i need.

11. Taggert_LOA

General Features:
    300 Watts
    ATX, ATX12V connectors
    Three (3) large 4-pin power connectors
    User switchable between 115V/230V
    Over Current Protection
    Over Power Protection
    Short Circuit Protection

Power Specifications:
    +3.3V ~ 14A
    +5V ~ 25A
    +12V ~ 10A
    -5V ~ 0.5A
    -12V ~ 0.8A
    +5vsb ~ 3A

Regulatory Approvals
    FCC, CE, TUV, SEMKO, DEMKO, NEMKO

12. dubstar

dubstar format c:

my buddy got a 500watt PSU at a computer convention for $50.. the guy said they bought way too many, and they just want room for storage.. he plugged it in the wall to test it, and his room smelled like sausage for 3 days. now whenever he talks about his computer, he says its powered by sausage. he wanted to get a sticker, but i talked him out of it, luckily.

13. Xie

lol thats a great story and i would so have a sticker if that was my story as well.