Folders not listed in explorer

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by PAD, May 5, 2002.

1. PAD

PAD Guest

Hi

Sorry about the bad english, hope you understand me......

In windows explorer i cant find any folders higher than Temporary Internet Files

In those folders i have a lot (200+) of virus infekted files, which my virusprotection cant disinfekt. Only way to access and delete these files is in cmd.exe.

Why do not explorer list these files?
    Can i change something so it will?

/Danne

2. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Guest

Open up "My Computer" click "Tools", click "Folder Options...", click the "View" tab. Put a tick in "Show hidden files and folders", click "Apply" and "OK". That should allow you to see those extra files/folders.

3. PAD

PAD Guest

Show hidden files and folders are on, sorry i didnt write that in my first post.

In Temporary Internet Files is an folder named Content.IE5 (yes the dot should be there)
    In that folder there are some folders named like K4XEYASD in that my virusinfected files are.

Content.IE5 are not listed in explorer.
    It is not listed in cmd.exe if i use the command dir
    I need to write dir/s to show systemfiles, and then i get a list of files in the folders higher than Content.IE5.....?????
    I can move to Content.IE5 whit cd command

I gess this folders isnt normal folders or something...this get me confused

/Danne

4. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Guest

Come off-line and delete the whole folder. There are usually four of them, don't worry Windows will re-create them when you re-boot.

5. Swi

Swi gningnegneur

just by emptying your temp internet files through Tools->Internet Options->Delete Files, won't this get id of the viruses?

Personally speaking, i can see all files in temporary folder... probably cause i've put a static folder name on environment variables to send those files in my temp partition (less fragmentation of the main partition)

6. PAD

PAD Guest

Sure i can delete these folders....
    But that only half solution, still i cant see the Content.IE5 folder in explorer....or should it be like that?

/Danne

7. Swi

Swi gningnegneur

There's a folder option in the tab View called "Display the contents of system folders" Is yours checked?

8. PAD

PAD Guest

Yes it's checked....

It must be something in registry that hides systemfolders/files under Temporary Internet Files, i can see everything else...as far as i know

/Danne