folders keep creating themselves in xp

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by forcer, May 6, 2003.

1. forcer

forcer OSNN Senior Addict

how do i stop my music and my pictures folder from appearing in the my documents folder as soon as i delete it it comes back?

2. yoyo

yoyo _________________

Won't unregistering mydocs.dll have impact on the whole My Documents folder and not only on the My Music and My Pictures folders. (Thinking of the special role of the documents folder in regard of System Restore for instance).

I have heard that removing the references to these folders in the registry will prevent them from coming back.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Explorer\ Shell Folders
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Explorer\ User Shell Folders
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Explorer\ Shell Folders
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Explorer\ User Shell Folders
    Remove the Data Values within *Music and *Pictures (courtesy Dirk Diggler)

Seems some programs like photoshop sometimes insist on
    recreating these folders.

Probably best to learn to live with them.

3. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

move them to another partition.... remove the partition.... gone :confused: happend to me at work today, the 40gb backup with my docs on died... now there not anywere xp aint that sure what to do either i mite add.

4. BonyTony

BonyTony Moderator

I removed the "links" folder from my favorites....yet every now and again it comes back to haunt me !!.

I now just ignore it...unless someone knows better.