Folder & I.E lag

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by alpha81, Jun 29, 2002.

1. alpha81

alpha81 Guest

Hi, could anyone help me with this problem.
    everytime i open 'my computer', 'my network places', 'my documents', 'recycle bin' and 'internet explorer' it takes forever to open....approx 10-20 secs before it actually opens up or lauches. but when i already have 1 folder open like 'my computer' and i click on the recycle bin icon on the desktop it pops up almost instantaneously.......can't figure out the problem.....
    does anyone know whats goin on???
    :confused:

2. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

Need your specs.

also have you run a virus checker lately, that's where I would look first.

Has this problem always been there? or just start recently?

3. alpha81

alpha81 Guest

Yeah i ran a virus check with Nav2002 and again with NOD32.......they say i don't have a virus.......the problem has only just started in the last few days........

my specs : P4 1.8 GHz, 512Mb ram, 40gig HDD, Geforce 2 mx400, soundblaster live 5.1

it seems as though the problem is getting worse slowly.......each time it takes longer and longer.......sometimes it compromises my cable connection......the problem is starting to spread..... when i open other apps. like virtual dub.....everything practically slows down to a halt.........

hope you can help me out........thanks.:confused:

4. Scoundrl

Scoundrl Guest

Did you recently install a popup add killer? I know that when I installled Adsgone I had some wierd stuff like that start happening. You may have to do a system restore to get back to the way it was before you installed it. Good luck

Ken

5. alpha81

alpha81 Guest

nah i didn't install a popup killer......most recently installed bottler.......a program which logs onto mIRC channels to d/l stuff for ya......not sure if thats the problem.....

but thanks for ya suggestion........

6. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

Do you have any mapped drives that point to a location on the net or somewhere else on your network (if applicable)? If so, the act of XP "looking" for this drive may be what is slowing you down.

Just a thought.

7. alpha81

alpha81 Guest

nah i don't have a mapped drive scriptasylum, thanks anyways......

8. alpha81

alpha81 Guest

Just discovered that if i double click on my computer and then double click immediately after then the folder will open up straight away.......10-20 secs later i get another folder opening p which was the lag from the first time i doubled clicked.......
    not sure if this helps but is there a solution for this???

9. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

I reckon this is a bug in xp. Happens to a lot of people for no reason. I find if I start the computer & leave it for a minute or so there is no problem. It only seems to happen when opening programs straight after startup.

10. Antallica

Antallica w00t

I just has this problem too....... nothing a nice format didn't fix hehe :D

Also noticed IE6 started auto switching between windows by itself when loading pages.

11. neoterixx

neoterixx Guest

I notice this problem with certain folders that I open that have a lot of files in them for instance my music folders and my download folders. AOL folders and my pictures folders take a long time to load, perhaps because its on THUMBNAIL as viewing option. Maybe its time I changed my settings!