Folder creation

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by dreamliner77, Jul 5, 2002.

1. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Some program is creating a folder named"DLL" in my startup folder everytime I boot. This folder then opens on my desktop. Even if I delete it, it will be back on the next boot. Is there anyway for me to trace what program is creating it and either reinstalling, disabling or directing it to make the folder somewhere else?

Also, what if I move what is in my startup folder and delete it and just use the "all users" start up folder. I am the only user on my system...

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

If you can't find where the core program is then do as you suggested. Try moving it from startup to the desktop to disable it. If all is OK then delete it.

3. dreamliner77

Is there any way to find the core program though?

4. Hipster Doofus

There might be something in the 'tweak' thread about this one.
    In ME I used a tweak, it may have been using 'power toys'. If you right click on a shorcut it would give you the 'target' of where the actual program was located. I'll have a look on my cd & see if I still have it.

5. dreamliner77

6. dreamliner77

Okay, I figured out what to do,

I can move the folder and it won't open, I just can't delete it or it recreates itself in the start menu. So, I guess I'll just bury it deep in a folder somewhere

7. Hipster Doofus

Found it. I have not tried this in xp. I seperated the one you need from a program called "My Power Tools". Right click on the inf file & choose 'install'. I've included the readme. When it's loaded I don't know if you need to reboot or not but when you right click the shortcut you'll see "Target".

8. dreamliner77

Thanks,

What I tried before didn't work

gonna go cook some dinner, will try it later and let you know what happened.