Flashing BIOS - How to make Bootable DOS CD

A

avsdotcom

Hi all ! New to these boards, wondered if anyone knows if it is possible to make a bootable DOS CD for flashing the BIOS of my mobo (Epox 8KHA+).
The manual says the DOS disk should have NO device drivers or other programmes on it.
So apart from the new BIOS files, what else do I need to put on it? And I presume that it will be fine on a CD, as long as I change to boot from CD in BIOS. Any help really appreciated, thanx.

Avs

AthlonXP 1700+
256MB DDR
Epox 8KHA+
GeFrorce 3Ti500

It looks like your newest bios 'bin' file is '8khi2108.bin.' You'll need that and the flash utility 'Awdflash.exe' on the disk. Here are detailed instructions for flashing your bios using a regular diskette:

Procedure to update BIOS using AWARD BIOS flash utility Awdflash.exe
--------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Create a clean bootable floppy diskette using C:\>format a:/s command
2) copy awdflash.exe utility & the correct BIOS file 8khi2108.bin onto the diskette
3) Bootup targeted PC using the floppy diskette
4) At DOS prompt, type A:\>awdflash 8khi2108.bin
5) The utility will prompt if you wish to retain the current BIOS setting onto a file
6) Next, the utility will prompt you to confirm whether to flash the BIOS
7) After BIOS is flashed, the utility will prompt you whether to reset <F1> or exit <ESC> the utility.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I've never flashed using a CD before. I don't see why it wouldn't work. When you're done, post back so we know it went ok.

Thanks for the info. I had the BIOS update, was just missing the AWDFLASH.EXE (doh!). Not sure how to run it from CD tho - when I go into the Flashing prog, it says 'Could not detect floppy'
Looks like I'll have to dig out my old floppy drive, thought it was redundant ,but obviously not. I'll let you know how it goes.Cheers.

:eek:

The award flash program will try to backup your bios, hows it going to write to a CD ?

Well, everything went well, but I could only get it to run from floppy, not from CD. And not for lack of trying either, lol. Thanks again for the info, and if I do get it to run from CD I'll let you know. Unless anyone knows a definitive way of doing it, that is.

I got into a heated debate on this subject on another site...

I do'nt think it can be done... In order to flash the bios you have to boot with no drivers... In oreder to use a cd the cd drivers has to be installed...

Correct?!?

Intrestingly enough the live update software on the ASUS website flashes your BIOS from within windows :eek:

Good point...

I done that to both my Giga-Byte and Msi...

Doh!

if using a cd to flash your bios do this
by burning the bootable floppy on to
the cd and make a autoexec.bat with the command:
A:\AWFL789 ********.*** /SN /PY /CC /R /LD

where ** is the versionnr of the bios
it won't ask to backup your bios.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back