Firmware upgrade trashed XP?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Waldo, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Waldo

Waldo Guest

Have a Lite-on 40125s burner, have upgraded the firmware several times. Last night went to flash new "P" firmware, flashed successfully, rebooted and got a BSOD stop error. Scandisk found numerous cross linked files in System32\Drivers folder, illegal long file names in Prefetch folder. Fixed those errors, rebooted - same result. Booted to Win98 and reflashed burner to "N" version, rebooted XP and all was well. Thinking I was nuts, redownloaded "P" firmware, reflashed and got the exact same result. Fixed it the same way. Anyone ever heard of this?
  2. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

I haven't heard of it myself, but tell you what I wouldn't flash it the third time, twice is usually enough for me.

3. Waldo

Waldo Guest

I hear ya, really didn't want to try the second time but could not convince myself that flashing was the problem. I'm convinced now.
  4. Burpster

Burpster Guest

i've never understood why ppl who's burners are working perfectly fine flash them?? if you are having problems i can understand
  5. Waldo

Waldo Guest

Like the man says - "If it ain't broke keep fixin' it til it is."
  6. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

United Kingdom
    I have flashed DVD drives a few times to remove the Region Settings on them, voids the warranty, but hey.
    Not sure if that would be considered illegal though.

Yeah "If it aint broke, tweak it til it bleeds" someone here had that in their sig at one point.