firefox question

Discussion in 'Windows Applications' started by Perris Calderon, May 17, 2008.

1. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

k, so firefox has a pretty cool feature, if the browser crashes or my box crashes it will restore the previous session

this is really good because if I have to restart the browser I have to jump threw some uala pages, if it restores the previous session it goes right to the page I want to be in the first place

so, is there a way to load the previous session even if the browser didn't crash?

if there's nothing I can do besides crash the browser, and without using task manager, is there a way to crash the browser when I close it down?

thanx in advance

2. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

dont know if this is it but.....

in url bar type - about:config, then look for browser.sessionstore.resume_session_once (bool) - default is false, change it to true

or

browser.startup.page (int) - What is displayed when Firefox starts: 0 = blank page; 1 = homepage; 3 = previous session. Default is 1. (Note: This preference is exposed in the Startup section of the Main pane of the Options/Preferences dialog.)

Perris Calderon likes this.
  3. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

You need tabsmixplus installed, and have these settings here. As a second choice.

Make sure Show My Windows And Tabs From Last Time, instead of Show my homepage.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  4. Perris Calderon

k, sessionstoreresume thingy didn't do the trick, homepage thingy to 3 didn't do the trick and tabsmixplus says it's for older versions

what version does tabsmix plus work on and do you have a link for that version?

thanx for the help guys

5. Bman

I am running the latest Firefox 2.0 version. If you have 3 it does not work.

Perris Calderon likes this.
  6. Perris Calderon

gonna go back to 2

7. Perris Calderon

ok, went back to version 2, installed tabs mix and also found session manager, I think both of these will do the trick, thanx all

8. Bman

As you can see in my screenshot I have it set to use Firefox's built in Session Manager, but changing the other setting to do it everytime still works with the built in one.

9. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

session manager work wonders..

There is also a beta version of TabMixPlus that works in FF3b5 (haven't tried it yet in RC1). I pulled it down and it does work great.. can't find it at the moment though.. will edit if I find it again later.

10. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

Indeed, session manager = ftw.

11. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

Newest version of TMP is 0.3.6.1.080416 Everything works with RC1 except what Bman posted. So if you shut down FF with some tabs open and then restart FF it will not restore your tab session. If it crashes with tabs then it will restore them if you wish it to.

12. SkyFuser

SkyFuser Techtard in Training Political User

Session Manager looks useful. Although I have Firefox RC1 so it's all good :)

13. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Slightly outside the box.

You could just use Opera :)

It's faster and uses less memory AND it can re-start with the last state remembered :)

14. Bman

boo i say, Booo

15. Aprox

Aprox Moderator Political User

Firefox 3.0 does this automatically. When you close the browser a window pops up that says "Quit - Save & Quit" and a check box that says never ask me again. You could have checked that, then hit quit so now it always quits without saving the session. I'm not sure how you would go about resetting that option, I looked around the preferences and saw nothing relating to it. *shrug*

16. Mizzle

Mizzle Oh, now I know...!

Indeed. In FF 3 you'll be prompted if you'll save your session for later use when you hit the close-button :)

17. Evil Marge

Evil Marge I Rule Political User

There's always one :lick::laugh:

18. Perris Calderon

bad news, this does not do the trick

this is bizarre, on a crash I can get back to the screen I was working on, but on close I cannot

somebody see if they can get to do what I want to do, this is the first page

http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/mynassauproperty/property_search.jsp

hit the "property search" button then tap the "I agree button" at the bottom and that's the page I want to come back to on restart, I can do it after a browser crash but can't get session manager to do it without a crash

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  19. Perris Calderon

going to try that but I doubt it will work, please try my link above and give it a go before I reisntall version three

thanx in advance

20. Perris Calderon

will try that now , could you try the link I provided above and tell me if it works for you after you hit the "I agree button"?

thanx saz