Firefox hits 50 Million Downloads!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Kush, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Kush

Kush High On Life!

Yay, die spyware die!
    Linky

zeke_mo likes this.
  2. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

yippy, yadda, yadda :rolleyes: We will see what happens with IE7 is final .. lol

3. Tuffgong4

Tuffgong4 The Donger Need Food!!!! Political User

I love Firefox and is the only browser I use unless some page is coded incorrectly then I use the Netscape 8 beta which does pages for IE very well.

BUT I agree with the statement that Firefox's numbers are horribly inflated because when you have to update Firefox you have to download the program all over again. I really think they could do a patch or update service to stop inflating the numbers.

Hell I probably have downloaded FF 20 times for misc reasons (update, fresh install, fresh OS install, and others) so imagine every person downloading the whole program every time an update came out

4. Johnny

anything to make them look good tuff. Usually how it is for a upstart company that is trying to make themselves look like the best Browser ever ..

5. 762x51

762x51 168gr BTHP

Trying to make themselves look good or not.....it IS the best browser ever. AND it's only a beta.

6. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

Huh? Best browser yes, beta no.

7. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

The thing about that is, FF will still be safer than IE ever will be, because FF will be fixed(not a work around) when something becomes a problem. IE however, will be fun for the first year until all these spyware and advertising companies find all the little loop holes they can. I can see it now, we will have popup tabs in IE. I would trust a community based project over a corporate product any day.

8. 762x51

762x51 168gr BTHP

Whoops! My bad....been using beta builds for so long, I forgot they are past 1.0 now. :dead:

9. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

I'm not so sure after attending the IE session at WinHEC. :ermm:
    Not making any judgements until beta 1 this summer, but I can't say I was impressed in the least bit by the session, unfortunately.

The Firefox download counter's also getting old now. I'm waiting for a significant new release that brings some nice new features rather than just bug fixes. The road to 1.0 was awesome. I hope the trend continues. :)

10. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

FF is nice I never been hit with any security issues in IE and I use FF from time to time I have downloaded FF at least 6 times so I think that the 50 mil is just more PR but hey any way you can keep fooling the masses works.

11. Eagle710

Eagle710 OSNN Senior Addict

i use firefox alot of the time boy is it ever better then stupid IE freaking microsoft is so a waste of time now a days.

12. Tuffgong4

Tuffgong4 The Donger Need Food!!!! Political User

I love FF and will continue to use it like I said earlier but if FF had 90% of the market for browsers they would have just as many problems too. Spyware and Adware is based on the fact that the companies are making money(and lots of it) off of spyware/adware and you hit the biggest market available. If FF ever starts to get into the 20% and 30% you will see more of these companies attacking it as well. The best thing about FF is that I think since it's a community helping out that problems will get fixed quicker than IE. But it doesn't matter cause I will still use FF no matter what because it gives me all the features and security I need ATM.

13. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

can you say "punctuation?" Wow, I had to read that 5 times to understand what you were saying.

14. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

I have switched to FF at home... as a trial. I have been using it for about 2 weeks and I am contemplating moving back to IE. I hate how long it takes to download pages in FF. I am Director of IT for a company and we use IE. I will not switch us from IE. The one thing that ever other browser lacks is the windows authentication piece.

15. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Use SeaMonkey .. it pwnz FF IMHO. ;)

16. Johnny

You people don't seem to understand, the more popular FF becomes the more volurable it will be. It doesn't matter what browser you use, you are not safe from anything on line ..

17. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

I for one understand that 100% but you cant make the ms bashers understand anything as long as they see a way to put down ms they will, its not hard to see them its always the same people, in every thread and news post they just repeat the same old ms sucks and linux is better crap ..

18. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Yeah it's all a matter of numbers in the end. An OS thats easier to exploit helps but the OS/browser/program with the biggest marketshare is the one thats going to get the most badies. :/

19. Kush

Kush High On Life!

20. Kush

Kush High On Life!

(actual number, does not include ugprades)
    lol read the right side bar!