Finding programs that load on startup

M

Mike521

Just wondering on something--I can't delete a folder called "nwwia" specifically its "C:\Program Files\xerox\nwwia" I have WinXP set to show me all files, hidden or otherwise, including protected files--and this directory appears to be empty. Yet when I try to delete it, it says its in use.
I'm assuming that whatever uses it is something that runs on startup, but I don't know what it could be, and why its using an empty directory. I don't remember ever installing any xerox crap. Could anyone help me track this down?

This topic was covered a bit in a thread I started a couple days ago, but since this is slightly different, I thought I'd make a new thread.

Also, I used a program called Registry Crawler to search my reg, and found no instances of xerox or nwwia. I have very few programs listed to run on startup, I've checked MSconfig and there's only 4 non-microsoft items that load on startup there. In all of my various start menu\programs\startup folders, the only thing is my firewall.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any idea what is going on here!

See if this will get rid of it>

Deleting files - Access Denied Error

Explorer.exe in XP has a bad habit of wanting to hang on to files, even when you have finished using them - therefore when you try to delete the file, XP will say "Access Denied".
This error occurs more often when working with media files - mp3, avi, mpeg etc.
TIP:
Close all open applications.
Open a command prompt and navigate to the directory with the offending files.
Then open the Task Manager and click on the Processes tab. select "explorer.exe" under Image Name. Click "End Process".
That will leave you with only the command prompt and the task manager running.
Now at the Command Prompt, its time to delete the file(s). Using the DEL command. Example c:>\movies\DEL movie.avi
Now the files are deleted, go to the task manager and click on the Applications tab. Click the "New Task" button. in the dialog, type explorer.exe and click OK.

For folders the command is 'rd'.

If you need prompt navigation commands let us know.

The only areas in the registry that I am aware of that loads things at startup are:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Other then that it sounds like you have checked all the common spots.
If it's not there then I don't know where else to look.
Did you try a Google Search?

There is a great deal of speculation on annoyances.org about what the directory is. Apparently, it shows up in a number of XP installations. Given the number of Asian sites that come up in Google, it seems to be a high point of discussion among them. Haven't a clue what it is for. Some think it is included as a possible area for Windows Image Acquisition to be compatible with Xerox for scanning abilities. Some think it is a conspiracy upon the part of Microsoft.
What seems to be problematic is that it is protected by the system. Some seem to have managed to delete it by going through the Console. You might try the command: DEL \\.\ drive letter :\ path \ file name to see if that will get rid of it. However, from what I read, it comes back the next time you start XP.
The same kind of thing showed up in W2K with frontpage though you could delete it and not have it return.
There seems to be no references to it in the registry.

The problem you are having is caused by windows file protection, executed by winlogon. Windows File Protection prevents system files and folders from being altered, and automatically copies a backup file if a system file is altered.

This is a QUOTE from anoyances.org:

Phenomenon When the Windows XP is installed, < > the \xerox\nwwia folder is drawn up to the systemdrive \Program Files subordinate. Circumstance This operation is specification of Windows XP. Details The \xerox\nwwia folder from the XEROX Corporation way the WIA which is offered (the WindowsImage Acquisition) is prepared in order to utilize the ƒlƒbƒgƒ??[ƒNƒXƒLƒƒƒi of correspondence. In addition, because it is the folder which is protected by the system, it is not possible to delete. I got this info by using the altavista/babel fish translator to translate the webpage on this URL (http://www.microsoft.com/JAPAN/support/kb/articles/j070/0/25.asp) from japanese to english. ++++++++++ In conclusion, you can't do a thing to these folders becuase they are protected by the system. Nice... I guess we'll just have to live with it, what a piece of crap.

Read through some of the posts here:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1007374617

Seems some one has figured out a way but it's not a simple thing.

wow... that is EXTREMELY annoying. There's nothing i hate more than not being able to remove stuff when I want to, especially a damn empty directory.

Thanks for all the links, jaws and gonaads, I'll take a look and see if its not too much of a pain in the ass to get rid of this thing permanently.

At least its not some kinda hidden program loading on startup, I hate that crap too.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back