Filtered Sub-network

Techno Child

web{designer}
Hey guys,

Right now I have two wireless home networks - one that is password protected and another that is open to everyone in the area. How could I setup the open network to filter a list of urls, and maybe even set a bandwidth limit?

I have a few Pentium pcs lying around that aren't doing anything if this could be used, along with a couple of pci- network cards...

Any ideas would be much appreciated...
-tc

^
what he said.. cheap and effective.. especially if have some older machines laying around.. may want to try to scavange a second network card too for the linux box..

ok... I'm downloading NetBSD right now, and the latest version of Squid.

Just for my knowledge - is there also a hardware solution, such as a special gateway/router that would have these options? I'm sure if there was, it would probably be pretty expensive.

-tc

It may be possible to do that with DD-WRT but you need a specific wireless router to use it on.

I know that it's pretty old threat, but for windows users who will read it for similar problem: You can to use also Windows box for bandwidth shaping of web access by URL. There are existing only several shapers which can provide this, IMHO the best is Bandwidth Management and Firewall at http://www.softinengines.com

Candoor

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back