File Used, But Not!!!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by kwantum, Apr 11, 2002.

1. kwantum

kwantum Guest

Sometimes when I try to rename or move or delete a file, i will get an error message that says it is being used by another process, but it is not. I have tried closing all programs/processes, but I still receive this message. Is this a bug?

2. andy_rose

andy_rose Moderator

yeah, that used to happen to me too. and it's not a bug, just the file protection "thing"..anywayz, since i did the always unload dll tweak that u can find right here on xp-erience, that has never happen to me again. i cant say for sure it's because of the dll tweak, but i'm still without the message since..
    hope it helps you 2..:)

3. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Guest

If there are more than one user on the computer and the file you wish to delete is available to those other users (even though they are not logged on or using the computer), then that file can't be deleted. XP protects that file in case the other user needs/wants it.

P.S.
    This is just my thought on the subject, and it could be nonsense.

4. kwantum

kwantum Guest

well i only have the 1 user and the guest account is off, so i don't think that's it. i also have tweakxp set to "force windows to unload dlls from memory."

5. Twink

Twink Guest

what file u trying to delete

6. kwantum

kwantum Guest

ususally it's an avi file...rename or delete....

7. xsivforce

xsivforce Prodigal Son Folding Team

What programs are open when you try to do that?

8. Twink

Twink Guest

Just wait for the preview to show up before you rename it or push delete

9. nxtno1

nxtno1 Guest

I had that problem with some mp3s i moved them , then moved them back and they said they were always in use. Anyway if you dont need the files you can boot in safe mode and delete them. that work for me.