Is this different to Kazaar?
How unsafe might it be?
Can anyone recommend a good free firewall? :cool:

bandmaster said:
How does p2p work then?
Is this different to Kazaar?
How unsafe might it be?
Can anyone recommend a good free firewall? :cool:

Unless you own the copyright of 'the files you're sharing', then just don't do it.

p-2-p is having access to peoples hard drives rather than files being uploaded and downloaded by a central server.

I always found it strange that @ntfs we don't mention, warez, cracks, files nor serials, but file sharing goes uncensored!

Well your own firewall has to allow in and outgoing communications with p-2-p sharing anyway.

We all use different firewalls, I use zone alarm pro with web filtering. I have used 4 and find it the easiest and when checking @grc.com the best for my protection.

Lee said:
I always found it strange that @ntfs we don't mention, warez, cracks, files nor serials, but file sharing goes uncensored!
P2P as of today is not illegal. The programs that are p2p related that people use are not illegal. Some of the content that they can download can be illegal not all but some. If you are using a p2p program and are having issues we will try and help. If you download something you do not own or does not have a GPL, we will not provide support for that.

whoops

Did I stir up something dodgy here? I'm not using p2p - I don't know enough about it to decide whether I would want to. I just heard about it and wanted to know more before jumping in uninformed. Seems I did right.

The replies I got didn't really give me an understandable explanation of how it works though - maybe because I'm more of a novice than people realize?

I understand that copying (copyrighted) programs from one pc to another is illegal. What else do I need to know to avoid getting into trouble?
:confused:

To understand the P2P model, you have to move away from a server-client way of thinking. On a server-client model, a client such as you connects to a server to request for whatever data. That server provides services such as serving webpages. When you are visiting a page, you are connecting to a server that is many times dedicated to that particular job. In a P2P model, there is no central server and no central entity that has all the power. Every node or user accessing that P2P network is equal. No files reside on a single server.

http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/

I recommend Direct Connect ++, DC++ for short, for p2p, its safe in the way that fake files, viruses, trojans and spyware are not pressent in the program or sharers. People who do share fakes and what not are kicked from the hubs so increasing security.

pluto said:
http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/

I recommend Direct Connect ++, DC++ for short, for p2p, its safe in the way that fake files, viruses, trojans and spyware are not pressent in the program or sharers. People who do share fakes and what not are kicked from the hubs so increasing security.

the thing I dont like about DC is you have to share a fairly masive ammount of stuff in order to connect to any good servers. All of us do not have 15 gigs of HD space to allocate to file sharing

As to the legality of p2p programs it varys from country to country

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back