File Protection problems?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by eminem910, Apr 7, 2003.

1. eminem910

eminem910 Guest

ok..i'm sick of this mess... i have norton internet security..and norton antivirus protection 2003..but still get virus's.. one of them was ping.exe.. so whenever i play a game...i lag to 900 ping...sometimes it doesnt happen right away..anyways...i searched for all related programs with the word "ping" in them.and deleted most of them....i got that annoying File protection screen.even though i tried 2 times to disable it... anyways.. now i cant ping servers (ping 208.243.xx.xx) how can i fix this?.... i have my cd...what do i do?..please help..thanks
  2. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

extract ping.exe from your XP CD and place it in C:\Windows\System32, or run sfc /scannow from the command prompt
  3. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Melbourne Australia
  4. eminem910

eminem910 Guest

alright.i use symantec norton do i get the ping.exe file?..i only see ping.ex_ or something on my cd.:(...thanks for the info.i'm going to look more into the removal options for the virus
  5. eminem910

eminem910 Guest

still need this file..thanks a bunch
  6. eminem910

eminem910 Guest

right.still awaiting it...
  7. zyfos

zyfos Resurrected

Pop in your XP CD. Open up a command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd). Type in these commands.

X: <- where X is your CD drive letter
    cd i386
    expand ping.ex_ C:\WINDOWS\system32\ping.exe
  8. XP Abuser

XP Abuser Guest

but windows file protection only scans for replaced versions that are not digitally signed and verified by microsoft.. and would be hard for a virus writer to install code into it while keeping the digital ID for the file.. which WFP looks for... i hope im correct

if not pleez correct me