File in use?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Timeo27, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Timeo27

Timeo27 Guest

Lately, I've got a couple of larger movie files that I've been trying to move to different folders, but when I try to move one of the files, it says that the file is currently in use, despite the fact that I haven't tried playing it or opening it in anyway. This still occurs even after I've restarted the computer. That's the annoying thing; usually restarting does the trick.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

If you know you're way around a prompt window try this. If not let us know & you'll get a simpler explanation.

Open a prompt window & navigate to the file. Open taskmanager/processes & close explorer.exe. Leave task manager open. Now go to the prompt window & move the file to where you want. Now go back to task manager/applications & start windows.exe.

3. Burpster

Burpster Guest

4. Timeo27

Timeo27 Guest

Thanks, Hipster, I should have thought of that before. I grew up using DOS and command prompts.

Anyway, I've got my files moved, but I still wish that I could fix whatever it is that's mixed up with the file, because it still thinks it's in use or something.

5. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

It seems to be an xp thing. :eek:

And it should have said 'start explorer.exe' not windows.exe. DOH!