File Find SLOW in XP

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Peter_CapeTown, Dec 26, 2002.

1. I've been able to figure out most things in XP since I upgraded from ME last year however I am still confused about why the file search always takes such a long time to do. In 98, 95 even Win3.1 or DOS a file search took seconds but here it takes minutes to search one small partition. I use 3rd party applets like PowerDesk File Finder and that does the job in seconds but surely Windows can do the same thing with the same efficiency? Thanks :).

2. allan

allan Guest

3. rettahc

rettahc Guest

One thing that may be causing slow searches is if your running a virus software that does real time scanning, like PC-cillin. As your computer searches through your hard drive the scanner is also scanning every file that your system looks at causing a major slowdown. At least this is what was causing slow searches on my comp.

4. gothic

gothic LinuXPert

One reason the search can take time is if you do an advanced search (hidden/system files etc.) this slows it right down!!

Try that utility that alan suggested, it's good.

TOK;)

5. It's a nice utility all right. Pity that Windows can't do fast searches though. Someone said maybe it's because I have a Virus scanner loaded, well I do have NAV loaded but other utilities take seconds to find files, u know like when Rocket Retriever does it's scan in the beginning and the disks make that noise as the prog scans the directory tree. Still a nice applet - thanks for the suggestion. Happy new Year! :)