Features Not Supported in Windows XP 64-Bit Edition

vivid_vibe

OSNN Senior Addict
Anyone read this yet?

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prka_fea_tfiu.asp

No more DVD playback? I can live with that, I guess. No more fast user-switching? I kinda like that feature. I'm sure I'll buy Win XP 64-Bit when it comes out, but I don't think it will really offer very much to the home user for quite some time. It will be a long time before it is the best choice of OS. Just my 2 cents.

"Windows XP 64-Bit Edition" is actually made solely for Intel's Itanium class of CPUs, which do not support 32-bit applications, except through an inefficient emulation layer. Most importantly for you all, this version of Windows is completely incompatible with AMD's 64-bit CPUs and has nothing at all to do with the upcoming XP 64-bit edition that will support AMD chips and it's full backwards compatibility with 32-bit instructions.

This version is actually four years old like the rest of Windows XP.

Melon

Yeah I believe Xp for Itanium ws cancelled along with a shedload of other stuff save for the insane version of windows server which supports a stupid amount of ram an insane number of CPUS and if I could afford as much storage as it did I could backup the internet i'm sure :D

What all us normal folk with athlon 64's and Pentium 4's with EM64T will get is Windows XP x64 Professional, which is Windows 2003 tinkered with to become windows XP professional and compiled with a 64 bit compiler, etc (along with all the other 64bit scaffolding) its not nearly as powerful as the Itanium class OS's from MS but it doesnt need to be.

Just moving to 64bit is a huge bonus in itself, and IMO we should have jumped to 64 bit 10 years ago or earlier when the technology was actually proposed. But you know how it goes, milk the cash cow until you can then find the next one when yout existing one is running out of Milk...

LordOfLA said:
Just moving to 64bit is a huge bonus in itself, and IMO we should have jumped to 64 bit 10 years ago or earlier when the technology was actually proposed. But you know how it goes, milk the cash cow until you can then find the next one when yout existing one is running out of Milk...

Indeed. I'm sure Intel is still mad that AMD jumped the gun. They had so much blood to squeeze out of that turnip yet! ;)

Melon

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back