Features Not Supported in Windows XP 64-Bit Edition

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by vivid_vibe, Mar 7, 2005.

1. vivid_vibe

vivid_vibe OSNN Senior Addict

Anyone read this yet?

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prka_fea_tfiu.asp

No more DVD playback? I can live with that, I guess. No more fast user-switching? I kinda like that feature. I'm sure I'll buy Win XP 64-Bit when it comes out, but I don't think it will really offer very much to the home user for quite some time. It will be a long time before it is the best choice of OS. Just my 2 cents.

2. melon

melon MS-DOS 2.0 Political User

"Windows XP 64-Bit Edition" is actually made solely for Intel's Itanium class of CPUs, which do not support 32-bit applications, except through an inefficient emulation layer. Most importantly for you all, this version of Windows is completely incompatible with AMD's 64-bit CPUs and has nothing at all to do with the upcoming XP 64-bit edition that will support AMD chips and it's full backwards compatibility with 32-bit instructions.

This version is actually four years old like the rest of Windows XP.

Melon

3. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Yeah I believe Xp for Itanium ws cancelled along with a shedload of other stuff save for the insane version of windows server which supports a stupid amount of ram an insane number of CPUS and if I could afford as much storage as it did I could backup the internet i'm sure :D

What all us normal folk with athlon 64's and Pentium 4's with EM64T will get is Windows XP x64 Professional, which is Windows 2003 tinkered with to become windows XP professional and compiled with a 64 bit compiler, etc (along with all the other 64bit scaffolding) its not nearly as powerful as the Itanium class OS's from MS but it doesnt need to be.

Just moving to 64bit is a huge bonus in itself, and IMO we should have jumped to 64 bit 10 years ago or earlier when the technology was actually proposed. But you know how it goes, milk the cash cow until you can then find the next one when yout existing one is running out of Milk...

4. melon

melon MS-DOS 2.0 Political User

Indeed. I'm sure Intel is still mad that AMD jumped the gun. They had so much blood to squeeze out of that turnip yet! ;)

Melon