FAT32 or NTFS

WIN-XP NTFS format

Forgive me for jumping in here. However, I'll be very appreciative if you could help me with the following questions:
1. Once I install WIN XP (upgrade from Win98SE) would I be able to still use my legacy DOS graphics programs?

2. Is it possible to install WIn XP on the C: drive and still keep my D: drive with FAT 32 format? Reason: I hate to re-install all the programs which I have now on D: drive after reformatting it to NTFS.

3. BTW I was very happy with WIN98SE until I got involved with the need to store "rendered files" larger than 4GB. WIN98SE has a barrier at 4GBs. WIN XP, with NTFS can go to very very large files... the www.videoguys.com recomment reformatting to NTFS not converting from FAT32 to NTFS.

Thanks
Kosmas

1. Once I install WIN XP (upgrade from Win98SE) would I be able to still use my legacy DOS graphics programs?
Some, most will complain or not function at all :(
However, I have seen other people get old programs and games to run that others have not. I guess it all comes down too what you tweak and your system spec's.

2. Is it possible to install WIn XP on the C: drive and still keep my D: drive with FAT 32 format? Reason: I hate to re-install all the programs which I have now on D: drive after reformatting it to NTFS.
Yup :)

3. BTW I was very happy with WIN98SE until I got involved with the need to store "rendered files" larger than 4GB. WIN98SE has a barrier at 4GBs. WIN XP, with NTFS can go to very very large files... the www.videoguys.com recomment reformatting to NTFS not converting from FAT32 to NTFS.
I agree. Formatting compleatly to change the drive format is ALWAYS the best option. Same goes for "upgrading" to XP ontop of another OS without formatting. I recommend a clean install every time ;)

i swear i've tried booting from my xp cd... hmm... i'll try it again sometime.

to stkootic;
can't really answer your question. i've heard lots about deskstars being unreliable and short-lived (i have 3 :( ), but i've also understood that their very good performers. the only thing i can question is the fact you have ntfs on a 20gb drive. i remember reading somewhere that ntfs is only recommended on drives 32gb and larger.. but people in this forum seem to all have different numbers in mind. and i don't think having ntfs on a 20gig'er would have that much of a performance impact.

i'll do my own benchmarks with fat32, and again with ntfs after formatting... on my 15gb and 40gb drives. also, in normal and raid 0 configurations for kicks. only then will i know the truth. }:>

Originally posted by Joseph

However, I have seen other people get old programs and games to run that others have not. I guess it all comes down too what you tweak and your system spec's.

I agree. Formatting compleatly to change the drive format is ALWAYS the best option. Same goes for "upgrading" to XP ontop of another OS without formatting. I recommend a clean install every time ;)

Originally posted by Joseph

Joseph, I thank you for the info. Some more questions, if you have time.

1. If I install a brand new HD. Format it via my existing WIN98SE as FAT32, then power the PC down, connect this newly formatted (FAT32) as PRIMARY MASTER, turn PC ON and go to the BIOS and direct it to boot from my CD-ROM drive where my WIN XP CD would be located and then install WIN XP? (A very long phrase!)

2. If the above procedure is sound can I then copy all the programs which were previously located in my C: drive (now connected as SECONDARY drive) into my new C: (WIN XP) drive?

3. What if, before I do #2 above from the COMMAND line CONVERT my former C: drive to NTSF and then perform #2 above?

Oh I love my IBM 75GXP. I better, it cost me $300 3 years ago. Still runs like a champ. But it does run HOT. I do plan to keep the 80gig at FAT32 since all my data is stored on it. I am still new to XP and know that if I get into real big trouble I can always reinstall win9x and still be able to access the drive.

Joseph, I thank you for the info. Some more questions, if you have time.

1. If I install a brand new HD. Format it via my existing WIN98SE as FAT32, then power the PC down, connect this newly formatted (FAT32) as PRIMARY MASTER, turn PC ON and go to the BIOS and direct it to boot from my CD-ROM drive where my WIN XP CD would be located and then install WIN XP? (A very long phrase!)

2. If the above procedure is sound can I then copy all the programs which were previously located in my C: drive (now connected as SECONDARY drive) into my new C: (WIN XP) drive?

3. What if, before I do #2 above from the COMMAND line CONVERT my former C: drive

mr. synad...

1. yeah, that's how you'd do it.

2. it's always recommended or required to reinstall the programs rather than copying their folders and trying to run them. there won't be any registry info for any of those programs, which is almost always required.

3. you can convert your drives to ntfs with no problem... you won't lose anything.

I thank you Joseph, tremendous help!

Kosmas Geo. Synadinos

Taurus,
I'm sorry. I am still learning how to get around this Forum...
I do thank you and all the gents who were so helpful.

BTW I've just received a reply from SONY: They state that no drivers are available for WIN XP and SONY's digital camcorder DCR VX1000. They do however, say that the SONY VX2000 is OK. That is , the WIN XP contains the appropriate drivers.

But, another site at SONY shows that the VX1000 is supported.
Very, very confusing.

Thanks
Kosmas

I dont like ntfs mainly because of the fact that you dont have total controll over system files, eg, there is nothing you can do to erase unwanted installed files from other programs.
With FAT32 you can at least boot up of a floppy and nuke stuff, unlike NTFS.
Really, though, unless you are on a large network you dont need the "benefits" of NTFS.
Most of you will be like me and de-frag often enough anyway.
I personally reckon that my PC is faster since reverting back to FAT32, which is not an easy task.

? Shouldn't this be in another forum ?

Anyway. This topic has been discussed in other forums and I still never feel totolly secure about converting to NTFS. The two basic questions I have is:

1) Are there programs/games (other than DOS-based) that will not work in NTFS? Or is there an NTFS vs. program compatibility list? Does a program care which filesystem it is on?

2) If my NTFS has a problem and I cannot boot from it for some reason, how can I use a bootdisk to at least copy some data files off it?

I read throught the MS article. It does explain compatibility across different filesystems, but doesn't mention compatibility from a program/game standpoint.
I have been using FAT32 simply for compliance across all OS's (win98se, XP, Linux) and because it works. I have a decent sized drive and hate the wasted space after 40g using FAT32.

Well if you a Windows XP cd you can boot to it and try repairing a problem from there and you can also make bootable floppies to help with any problems and I think there is also a thing called Emergency Repair Disk

Well me I'm sticking with NTFS. Have very few problems with it have had more trouble with a stupid floppy disk then I've had with NTFS. Only draw backs are that Windows 98 and below machines might not be able to access anything on the system with NTFS but otherwise very stable very little fragmenting no stupid improper shutdown errors and u can do amazing things with NTFS if you know what your doing. NTFS makes better use of the space on a harddrive. But if you like FAT32 then don't change otherwise try to offer bit more help to people asking questions

Originally posted by TheBlueRaja
I could be wrong, hands held up high, but isnt NTFS less prone to fragmentation as well..

Saw this and a quick thing I want to clear up about NTFS and fragmentation.

Strictly speaking a NTFS volume will require less defragmentation as it provides some "overhead" or space for a file to grow. This is fine while there is plenty of hard drive space. The downside to this is that once the end of the disk is reached (overhead included) then the areas of overhead will be written to with any new files. This then serves to greatly increase any possible fragmentation that will occur, usually resulting in more fragmentation than a FAT32 volume would create.

Basically as long as you havent filled more than 75% of your drive then you should be OK, once that percentage is reached then I would recommend a Defragmentation operation to reduce the overhead sizes and thereby reduce any fragmentation that may arise later.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back