fat to ntfs partition

G

garanzia

i have 2 partition on my 40GB hdd. on my c: the partition is fat32 and d: is NTFS. i just convert my d: to ntfs and its okay , the problem is when convert my c: to ntfs it says "the volume must be dismounted first" and the warning message "all the open handle to this drive will be invalid" . the question :

1. its okay to force dismounted the drive ???
2. What it mean by open handle ??

it 's okay to continue forcing convert and without damage to the system folders ???

my spec :

ASUS TUV4X r1003
Intel Celeron 950MHz ( overclock to 1300MHz)
512 MB Kingston 133MHz
riva tnt2 m64 32mb
40GB IBM DTLA
1 52X cdrom
1 ricoh 8832 cdrw
1 sony 16X dvdrom
Sound Blaster Live 5.1
aztech 56k modem
Promise Ultra 133Mhz IDE Controller
intel network card

1. Wouldn't bet on it. Never a good idea to unmount a system device in use. Try booting from another device (aka a bootdisk).
2. A file that is being used by a program or the OS. When you open a file you create an open handle which points to the file you want to open. In order to see what files are open the OS can just check the list of handles. More or less. :)

Your C partition cannot be converted whilst windows is running. If you continue the conversion it should say it will covert it at the next reboot.

Just disregard the message and proceed with the conversion.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back