Fat 32 to NTFS

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by omgsoup, Jun 23, 2002.

1. omgsoup

omgsoup OSNN Senior Addict

i have about 9GB left of harddrive space (37GB HD) and my computer came with 98Se, i "upgraded" to me, and now i have xp home. i've heard NTFS is better for stablity. is it recommended that i convert, and where can i find the option to do so?

2. ikester7579

ikester7579 Guest

I'd like to know the answer to that one. I have ntfs because I did a clean install. But I have two friends who did upgrades and are using fat 32 and would like to go to ntfs. Hope sombody has an answer.

3. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Got to Start> Run> type in 'cmd'> at the command prompt, type in 'convert X: /fs:ntfs' >>> X being the drive you want to convert and the command string without quotes.

BenQuilter, with only that much free space left I don't know if it will work or not.

Always do a backup of the valuables before doing this type of operation.

4. ikester7579

ikester7579 Guest

Is that the only way?

5. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Too simple? Open help and support center, search for 'convert' or 'ntfs.'

6. jp86gt

jp86gt Guest

I did it and had all kinds of trouble running retail games, anyone else run into this trouble? Id say that it wasnt worth it and I did a clean install of xp fat 32 and all works well now including games that I already purchased

7. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Yeah, some folks do experience problems from converting an existing fat32 system partition. The best way is to do a full ntfs format as part of the installation routine. I wouldn't go back to fat32 on a bet. I've been running ntfs on the same installation since mid December and i haven't lost one byte of data due to cross-linked files, lost clusters, etc. I'm very happy with it.