everytime i attempt to install directx 9, it goes through initialization, extracting, but then when it gets to copying files, it works until it gets to the file "d3dref.dll". then, it sits there for a while with the hard drive active and an error comes up "DirectX did not copy a required file." there are a few very odd things to say as well. first of all, when i run the web set up, it works fine... but doesnt access the internet at all. could this be that it did the first time i ran it but since then its using the same file it downloaded somewhere admidst my temporary files? another odd thing is that i downloaded the SDK Runtimes and looked through the cab files, d3dref.dll was there. I ran it, and it DID extract it to its temporary folder, but still gave me that error. My previous history of DirectX was I had directx8.1, but there were some older version files and then i had the directx8.1 sdk debug files (which included d3dref.dll). To fix this and other problems, I did a repair installation of Windows XP, ran the service pack and my Directx8.1 installation is with no older files, and no debug files.. and interestingly enough, d3dref.dll is no where to be found on my computer anymore. ** EDIT ** I ran a search with indexing turned off and d3dref.dll was found in some CAB files for the Directx7 and 8.1 SDK as well as the RETAIL and Debug runtimes for Directx9.