Extreme hardware survival...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mainframeguy, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

London, UK
    I just put my memory stick through the washing machine :rolleyes::dead::nervous:

But after 24 hours drying out - it seems to have survived :eek::laugh::lick:

Thought I would make a thread for anyone to post other "survival stories"
  2. Steevo

Steevo Spammer representing. Political User Folding Team

THe power supply in our server died. Its fan went out and it went kaput. I blew it out with compressed air unknowing, also causing a cooling of a few caps in the unit. I turned it back on. The lights in the office dimmed, the UPS started screaming and sparks and fire as the caps started exploding.

Everything survived. Minus the PSU of course. I almost cried.
  3. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

My question to Mainframeguy, how the hell do you put your computer's memory stick in the wash?

@ Steevo, please say you're not the IT guy at your work. :p
  4. saeltmarae2k

saeltmarae2k OSNN Addict

5. Steevo

I am.

I came in and the server was off, so I tried starting it, no dice. So I opened it up and the PSU was HOT!!! So I cleaned it out, and, well.........

After the aforementioned happened I opened it up and found the fan had died, causing caps to bulge from heat, and the combonation of bulging caps and cold well... **** happens.
  6. Steevo

I also got my X1800XT to a whopping 97C by forcing the fan speed to 800RPM, forgetting and playing a game for 15 minutes. It crashed and managed to record the overheat in the error report.

I also got my old Prescott to a unknown temp, but the copper HS I was using burnt me. I forgot to plug it in, turned on my system, and it ALMOST booted. Then the thermal protection kicked in.
  7. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Maidenhead, Berkshire, UK
    heh beats me applying 240V to a psu switched to 120V mode :D that just flashed blue and died quietly :(
  8. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Between Austin and Tampa
    I was with one of my ex's, at the hot-tub.

Spur of a moment thing. Jumped in still wearing my bermuda's and I had my old Samsung cell-phone in it.

Was in there about a half hour before I realized, oops, phone in pants. Needless to say it was the last thing on my mind and I didn't even notice it till I chucked the bermuda's onto the side and heard that nasty "clunk" of an expensive phone crying for help.

So, fast forward to a few hours later, I have the whole phone pulled apart at my place, except the screen and keypad, sitting under a light, drying. Left it there for a good bit.

A day and a half later, I tried it out, no dice. No juice.

A day after that I figured, hey, I have a spare battery, let me try that. Popped it in and the bloody thing WORKED :D

So, battery == dead. Phone == WINNAR !!! And I used it for almost a year afterwards with no ill-effects. It even kept all the data I had stored safe ;)