External USB DVD Drive - Booting

Discussion in 'Portable Devices & Gadgets' started by ChEeSeMoNkEy69, Feb 15, 2007.

1. ChEeSeMoNkEy69

ChEeSeMoNkEy69 OSNN One Post Wonder

Hello there people. My friend recently recommmended I used this forum as I have come across a problem.
    Basically I want to install Windows XP (Currently using vista) but my internal cd drive died in my laptop, so I have bought an external USB DVD drive. It works fine in Windows, the only problem is I that my bios does not recognise it (yes my bios does support booting off USB devices) so I cannot boot off my windows installation cd. Is there anyway I can create some kind of floppy boot disk or boot off a USB pen drive to install the necessary driver for my external DVD so I can boot from it.
    Any help would be great. Cheers

2. Abbie Normal

Abbie Normal OSNN One Post Wonder

3. marchelyx

marchelyx OSNN One Post Wonder

How to increase RAM of a computer using a pen drive? i have a desktop computer with a RAM of 256mb.now i have a pen drive of 4gb.with this can i increase the RAM of my system.i am using windows XP.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  4. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

No, it will not increase the ram of your computer.

This will act as a storage drive for your computer, but definitely not ram. Only on a Windows Vista system will you be able to use a flash drive like it's ram, but that only works with certain flash drives.

5. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

This thread is over 2 yrs old.

6. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

marchelyx - Restarted it. I'm just responding to his post.

7. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

and.... why respond to a post that's spam.... or if not spam, completely irrelevant to the topic at hand 2 years ago?

8. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

Because if it's a person that is in crucial need of assistance, then I could provide the needed help for them in a timely fashion.