External Mouse Not Working On Laptop?

Discussion in 'Portable Devices & Gadgets' started by AaronMcarthur, Jun 16, 2002.

1. I recently bought a external mouse for my laptop because I got tired of using the mouse built into the laptop. I plugged in the mouse but it seems to not work? Does anyone know why this is happening????

My laptop.

http://www.wiredzone.com/itemdesc.asp?CartId=&ic=50000010

The mouse I purchased was from Staples which was an IBM.

2. crono_logical

crono_logical Bird Eater

Is it a USB or PS/2 mouse? If it's USB, WinXP should have detected it and made a sound when you plugge it in (and another when you remove it).

If it's a PS/2 mouse, maybe check your laptop BIOS setttings to see if it allows hot plugging in of the mouse into the PS/2, and enable it if so.

3. It's a regular IBM laser mouse, you know the kind without the ball in the bottom. It's USB, not playstation 2 if thats what you meant by ps/2. The laptop has Windows 2000 Pro, sorry I forgot to mention it.

4. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

USB: small rectangular connector.
    PS/2: small round connector. (NOT Playstation 2 :D)

5. It's got two, USB and ps/2. I tried both but they still dont work. Maybe the mouse that is built into it, only recognizes it?

6. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

USB with PS/2 adapter I take it? USB should work like a charm. Just plug in and use. Does the mouse work at all? In another computer I mean.

7. Yeah it works in another computer.