Extending IDE cables?

D

davidprout

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy an extension lead for an IDE cable? I've got 2 HDD, a DVD writer and a DVD Rom in my machine. I want the 2 HDDs on separate cables and the 2 DVD drives on separate cables, but all the IDE cables I've found aren't long enough to reach from one HDD to one of the DVD drives - the distance is too far by about 10cm. So, I was wondering if there's an IDE extension cable available in the UK and whether that is my best choice or should I just get a separate IDE controller card?

Thanks.

I've had a better (?) idea. I'm going to spend £3.99 on a bracket that will allow me to put a 3.5" IDE drive in a 5.25" bay in my PC - I've got 2 spare bays, so this will work just fine. This will allow me to put the drive nearer the dvd rw or dvd rom and the cable will then reach without a problem. :)

yeah thats a good idea... you could possibly turn the cable around? so it'd be like this:

|mobo|---------------|hdd|-----------------------------------|cdrom|

(the amount of hyphens '--' shows the longer part of the cable). I know this works with the older 40wire ide cables, but it may with the 80wire too.

I did originally try turning the cable around, and although it reached the drivers were no longer detected... don't know why... could be the cable or motherboard.

I'm going to get a bracket tomorrow, so that'll sort me out :)

Ahh right, I remember doing that once with an older 40pin cable and it worked... I assume you're using an 80pin cable? Or if you're using a 40pin, perhaps it doesnt work like that anymore...

Seeing as that doesnt work, the brackets would be much better

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back