Extending IDE cables?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by davidprout, Aug 7, 2003.

1. davidprout

davidprout Guest

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy an extension lead for an IDE cable? I've got 2 HDD, a DVD writer and a DVD Rom in my machine. I want the 2 HDDs on separate cables and the 2 DVD drives on separate cables, but all the IDE cables I've found aren't long enough to reach from one HDD to one of the DVD drives - the distance is too far by about 10cm. So, I was wondering if there's an IDE extension cable available in the UK and whether that is my best choice or should I just get a separate IDE controller card?

Thanks.

2. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

You can buy longer cables... I got mine from http://www.acemobilecomputers.co.uk (a long time ago when I lived just up the road from it)... think it only cost me a few quid.

3. the_music_man

the_music_man aka prodj88 =P

and get round ones too :)

4. davidprout

davidprout Guest

I've had a better (?) idea. I'm going to spend £3.99 on a bracket that will allow me to put a 3.5" IDE drive in a 5.25" bay in my PC - I've got 2 spare bays, so this will work just fine. This will allow me to put the drive nearer the dvd rw or dvd rom and the cable will then reach without a problem. :)

5. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

yeah thats a good idea... you could possibly turn the cable around? so it'd be like this:

|mobo|---------------|hdd|-----------------------------------|cdrom|

(the amount of hyphens '--' shows the longer part of the cable). I know this works with the older 40wire ide cables, but it may with the 80wire too.

6. davidprout

davidprout Guest

I did originally try turning the cable around, and although it reached the drivers were no longer detected... don't know why... could be the cable or motherboard.

I'm going to get a bracket tomorrow, so that'll sort me out :)

7. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

Ahh right, I remember doing that once with an older 40pin cable and it worked... I assume you're using an 80pin cable? Or if you're using a 40pin, perhaps it doesnt work like that anymore...

Seeing as that doesnt work, the brackets would be much better