Extend NTFS Volume fails but appears succesful

Discussion in 'Windows Server Systems' started by fitz, Sep 12, 2007.

1. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

So.. I have three questions for you all at the end.. but first, the story:

I added a 4th 36GB drive to an existing 3 disk RAID 5 array in an old HP ML370 server running windows 2000 Server (Standard Edition). I used the HP Array tools to expand the array to the added drive. Went into disk manager and saw the empty space for the volume.

I then dropped into diskpart like I normally do and tried to extend the volume to use the rest of the empty space. Diskpart gave me some error that it failed but when I went into Disk Manager, it showed all the drive being used and no empty space. Went into diskpart and Disk Part thinks it has used up all the space (went from a ~60GB volume to a ~90GB volume listed).

Unfortunatly, that's the only places that shows the space used. The disk itself in DOS/Windows/etc.. is still showing only 2GB free.

These symptoms are exactly like the issue listed in this article (KB329826).
    While there is a hotfix that I can pull down from Microsoft that would fix the issue, my problem is the article also states
    Which means, since I already tried to extended the partition, I'm screwed. To go on a slight rant: "What's the use of coming with a hotfix to fix a problem you won't know you have until it's over and not providing another way to fix it?!??!"

Now, I've heard that there is a Microsoft utility out there called fsextend which is different than diskpart that has had good success in the past. Unfortunatly, Microsoft is choosing to now deny it's existence. They are also choosing to not help us with our current issue.

So, my first question is: Has anyone else encountered this issue?

My second question is: Does anyone know if the fsextend utility will work?

And my third question: Does anyone have a copy of fsextend or know of where I can get one?

2. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Found an article dated 2004 but.....maybe they still have the tool.

From here

3. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

why not license acronis disk director suite?

4. fitz

because I'd rather not license a whole suite of applications for something that will be very limited in use for us and for something that the free utilities provided (if they worked correctly) work very well.

5. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

AKA being hard headed :)

Go get disk director. Save yourself some hassle.

fitz likes this.
  6. fitz

yes.. being hardheaded :)

maybe i'll just convince them to replace the old server with a new one that has a warrenty and push it up to win2k3.. *sigh*

7. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

You mean win2k8, right? ;)

8. fitz

LOL.. we're still running half our severs on win2k.. what chance to I have of pushing them to a new server OS that hasn't even been released yet? :)