exporting emails

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by omgsoup, Aug 11, 2003.

1. omgsoup

omgsoup OSNN Senior Addict

i want to keep my old emails (I'm about to reformat). but when i do export in outlook it gives me an error and says that it couldn't initliaze MAPI and so it won't do it. how can i get rid of the error/save my emails?
  2. cpugeniusmv

cpugeniusmv Computer Genius

the way i do it (there is probably a better way) is just drag them into a folder on the desktop. if you want to put them back in your email client, just drag them back (only works for outlook and OE as far as i know)
  3. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

The Netherlands
    I never knew that you could drag and drop e-mail and contacts from Outlook. Thanks man! I always disliked the export option (goes more wrong than good) and this is more faster. I am about to reformat too and this is just what I needed!
  4. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

Amstelveen, The Netherlands
  5. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

United Kingdom
    If this is outlook express then Tools > Options
    click the Maintaince Tab, then click the Message Store button, you can than copy the path and get to that with Explorer, and copy them somewhere, else

you can also modify the Message Store to always keep them somewhere else. I have mine on my data drive so I dont loose them if I have to format windows.
    If you do format windows then you can just change the Message store back to your folder with the files in once you have reinstalled. All is fine.