Exporting E-mail addreses (XP Home)

E

excoelis

Ok here is my problem. I have 2 computers hooked up through a router. I want to get the e-mail addreses from xp home to xp pro. The export and import tabs are greyed out in xp home so I am not sure how to do this other than that. In XP pro the import/export tabs are not greyed out. Any idea as to why the tabs are greyed out or is there another way of expoting my e-mails from one to the other? I still want to keep the e-mails in xp home I just have to update my e-mails in xp pro.

this has a lot less to do with the os and more to do with your email program(s). What are you using?

Hello there.
Is "View/Layout/Contacts" ticked in OE6?

If so you should be able to use"Express Assist" to do this , although it is not free, but imports all entries such as emails/addresses /settings etc.
Go to : www.ajsystems.com.

Also look at your "Options" to see if there is a reason for "Import/export" to be greyed, which it should not be in the Home version.

File name for addresses

The file name for storing your addresses is *.wab, with star being your personal name. Search and find and copy.

The following comes from KNQ270670 - it is the only reference I have found for grayed out (dimmed) export option. Does it apply to your case in XP Home?

Export the Address Book to a File
NOTE: This step is very important when multiple Identities are in use. A .WAB (Windows Address Book) file is used by Outlook Express 5.x and 6.0 versions, even if multiple Identities are used. The individual data for each Identity is stored in a folder, by user name, within the .WAB file in use.

Exporting this data, while logged in to a specific Identity, is the only means of segregating the Address Book data. If the .WAB file becomes dissociated from the user Identities, the data can only be exported in total - not folder by folder.

Another reason to export the .WAB file to a .csv file is that if the .WAB file is shared with Microsoft Outlook, the addresses are stored in the *.pst file in Outlook. When you export the file from the Outlook Express File menu to a *.csv file it exports the correct contacts. If the Address Book is shared with Microsoft Outlook, you are not able to export from within the Address Book on the File menu. This option is dimmed or not available.

Originally posted by damnyank
The following comes from KNQ270670 - it is the only reference I have found for grayed out (dimmed) export option. Does it apply to your case in XP Home?

Export the Address Book to a File
NOTE: This step is very important when multiple Identities are in use. A .WAB (Windows Address Book) file is used by Outlook Express 5.x and 6.0 versions, even if multiple Identities are used. The individual data for each Identity is stored in a folder, by user name, within the .WAB file in use.

Exporting this data, while logged in to a specific Identity, is the only means of segregating the Address Book data. If the .WAB file becomes dissociated from the user Identities, the data can only be exported in total - not folder by folder.

Another reason to export the .WAB file to a .csv file is that if the .WAB file is shared with Microsoft Outlook, the addresses are stored in the *.pst file in Outlook. When you export the file from the Outlook Express File menu to a *.csv file it exports the correct contacts. If the Address Book is shared with Microsoft Outlook, you are not able to export from within the Address Book on the File menu. This option is dimmed or not available.

I can export from the xp pro OE, but my xp home OE won't let me not even the total file. From what I understand from this is I can only do it as a .csv file, is this correct?

I know nothing about .csv files.

The point I was getting at was - is the address book shared with Microsoft Outlook on your XP Home and not on you Pro??

Thus: If the Address Book is shared with Microsoft Outlook, you are not able to export from within the Address Book on the File menu. This option is dimmed or not available.

.csv file is actually a database in text format, you can open it using either notepad or excel. But as your import/export menu is dimmed, I don't think this will solved your problem.

Check out this website, they have some utilities and faq on OE problems/backup.

Thanks I'll take a look and see what I can figure out, I may have to input them in by hand.

I'm not positive this will work under XP, but when I used to have 98se, I used to just manually copy all my messgaes and contacts across a re-install of windows.
The address book is kept here:
C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\<your username>.wab

Might be worth a shot at least.

-JG

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back