Exploring keyboard shortcuts in Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by madmatt, Apr 14, 2007.

1. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Source: Windows Vista Team Blog

Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
  2. XeoNoX

XeoNoX OSNN Senior Addict

on Desktop ALT+Mouse Scroll is to resize icons!

3. dubstar

dubstar format c:

critical. :)

4. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Many of these already exist in previous versions of windows if im not mistaken. I'm a bit miffed though because there's no shortcuts for shutdown, restart or hibernate... as far as i can tell. everytime i press Windows,U,U, start menu searches for files starting with the letter "U".

5. jonny813

jonny813 OSNN Addict

Closet to the function you require ming is Alt+F4 on the desktop

6. ray_gillespie

ray_gillespie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Yeay I kept doing that for days when I first got Vista! I've finally got used to it not working now though. Anyone know if there's any way to change the sleep button on the start menu into a shut down button, or do I need to use the extra menu every time?

How much power does that sleep mode use anyway?

7. jonny813

jonny813 OSNN Addict

To change the Sleep button to ShutDown Start>Control Panel>Power Options> Then find the power plan you're using, and select Change Settings, then go to Advanced settings and in the dialogue that appears, go to Power buttons and lid, then change the entry for the Start button to Shut Down, OK all boxes.
    I'm at school so trying to remember this off the top of my head so names might differ slighty, but it's there

ray_gillespie likes this.
  8. ray_gillespie

ray_gillespie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Awesome! Thanks for the tip. Reps are on their way :)

9. jonny813

jonny813 OSNN Addict

No prob :) Found that in my Vista magazine lol, Also if OneNote 2007 is installed Windows Key+S will create a screenshot that the user defines much like the Snipping Tool, though OneNote needs to be running in the notification area for it to work. Also change the setting under Screen Clipping Defaults to "Copy to Clipboard Only", at its most useful that way

Here's another rather exhuastive list: http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/2503b91d-d780-4c80-8f08-2f48878dc5661033.mspx

Sorry can't find the thread by madmatt on cleaning up hyperlinks

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007