Existence?!

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by lancer, Jan 13, 2007.

1. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

Ok so just now i was thinking about where did it all start?

We have an idea that there is a big bang, and scientists are pretty sure that the universe, expands and then contracts.. ok i can accept all that.

But they also surmise that this expanding and contracting is infinate.

OK but where and when and how did this all start, who created existence, how did it come about, and why...

... and if it is as some people believe by god, then who created God and if it was those three mythical beings then who created the creators.

How does something just start with no preamble, no prefix.... where did it start?

2. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

We don't know. There are so many things we simply don't know about... but slowly we are coming to a more complete picture. For example, recently scientists made the first dark matter map, which they believe to be the "scaffolding" of the universe.

[​IMG]
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6235751.stm

Composition of the universe:

4.4% normal matter
    25.6% dark matter
    70% dark energy

The Earth is an infinitesimally small percentage of normal matter. So you can imagine how much we simply have no clue about.

As for God (he, she, it, they) was created by people like you and I trying to make some sense of the mystery of it all.

3. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

god was made my people like me, what does that mean....

i don't even believe in religion

4. rushm001

rushm001 In the beginning...... Political User

And there was me thinking it was going to be another one of those xp-erience -> ntfs -> osnn threads! :p

5. Vanquished

Vanquished Mr. Bananagrabber Political User

Ha,
    You stole that from me :)

Read the sig :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2007
  6. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Vanq, please do not quote images in your posts. Thank you.

7. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Each time I skim past this thread I can't help but think it's a thread about X-Istence :p

8. Vanquished

I didnt mean too...

9. Aprox

Aprox Moderator Political User

He is saying that religion was invented by people you and I who were looking for an answer for unanswerable questions. Thankfully with modern technology we are starting to understand the universe and those unanswerable questions are slowly being understood and then eventually answered.

10. Vanquished

Omg...
    am i invisible.
    this is what i have been saying, in my thread for 3 months!

"God is simply a way for stupid people to comprehend our existence" - Vanquished

Ha!
    I love quoting myself, makes me feel special :)

11. Aprox

What thread?

12. Vanquished

No thread.
    It was in my sig, until i felt compelled to change over to the patriots.
    Even NLM stalked me by the name in the quote - my real name...

13. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

It makes me laugh when I read that scientists know how old the universe is, what it's made of, etc. -- all while failing to understand the current weather on our planet. This year was supposed to have a more severe hurricane season than 2005. Not close, or even remotely close.

It's also interesting that it's viewed as stupid, ignorant, or (choose your adjective) to have faith in God, while it makes complete sense to have faith in people who pitch theories with worse odds than winning the lottery 10 times without ever having actually played. Slight exaggeration, but you get the point. ;)

If you believe in infinite space, then you should also believe in infinite time. If you believe in infinite time then you should acknowledge that a "beginning" doesn't exist in the sense that we understand it.

It's an interesting conversation, lancer, with a question that obviously none of us (nor anyone) can answer. No reason not to discuss it, though!

14. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

Hey God farted, and that's where we get the "big bang" from. :p

15. Vanquished

ewww.
    that means we all stink :0

16. omg its nlm

omg its nlm lvl 17 Hax Folding Team

Please see attached file

Thank you.

Attached Files:

madmatt likes this.
  17. GEN3RIC

GEN3RIC Moderator Folding Team

God created everything including this thread and the hilarity to ensue...

>_< lollerz

18. Aprox

I assume you are trying to make a point about wasted space and how madmatt wasted space by even posting that. Doesn't it seem a bit hypocritical to be posting nonsense like that? I suppose my post here is a complete waste. Hell, this thread should just be locked and deleted because its wasting space.

I have been in enough religion discussions to know that it is highly unlikely this will turn out well. Someone will get mad, offended other people will get defensive, etc etc. When it comes to topics like this, people don't usually change their mind and I don't see the point of even discussing it.

19. GEN3RIC

GEN3RIC Moderator Folding Team

Then whats the point of having a brain if you aren't willing to use it?

20. Aprox

I never said anything about not thinking for yourself. What I was implying is that people hang onto their beliefs for dear life. People's views on this type of subject are usually so deeply rooted in your life the very idea of questioning the foundation of their life has consequences. Most people don't want to think about it, therefor discussions such as this turn into flame wars and can be frustrating and stressful for both sides. Like I said, I have been in enough of these discussions to know better.

I have strong feelings on the subject, and I know others here don't agree with me. I'm willing to show them the respect they deserve by not questioning their beliefs. I don't need to prove others wrong to justify my beliefs or make myself feel better, And the same goes for the other way around. We are all entitled to what we want to believe in.

muzikool likes this.