Exchange Server 2003 / Exchange HTTP Virtual Server

madmatt

Awesome is as awesome does.
Political Access
I am running a two node cluster for Exchange Server 2003.

I tried to access OWA tonight and the site timed out. So I logged into the server to check the event log. I see the following error:

"Exchange HTTP Virtual Server Instance 100 (GRENO-EXCHANGE): Failed to get the protocol IP address and port bindings from the metabase."

I open Cluster Administrator and try to bring the resource online but it fails and provides the same event error as above.

Firstly, what would have caused this?

Secondly, how do I resolve this issue?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

No headers have been added. I've found documentation on Microsoft's newsgroups saying the metabase.bin file may have become corrupt. Which doesn't sound like a fun fix.

Any other ideas?

The problem has been resolved.

In the process of configuring the HTTP protocol through Exchange System Manager it made changes to the MetaBase XML file (configuration). Some how the "ServerBindings" property was removed from Exchange Virtual Server configuration. To resolve the issue I had to shutdown IIS on the inactive node and edit the file in a plain text editor and add the "ServerBindings" property back in with the correct information. After which I restarted the server and then failed over the cluster to this node.

Making the change on one server affected both so no further work was needed.

I hope this helps someone else if they run into this problem.

madmatt said:

In the process of configuring the HTTP protocol through Exchange System Manager it made changes to the MetaBase XML file (configuration). Some how the "ServerBindings" property was removed from Exchange Virtual Server configuration. To resolve the issue I had to shutdown IIS on the inactive node and edit the file in a plain text editor and add the "ServerBindings" property back in with the correct information. After which I restarted the server and then failed over the cluster to this node.

Interesting fix, it appears they replicated to eachother which in essence caused the problem and at the same time, fixed it :)

It makes sense that the replicated the configuration since the web site is a virtual server.

It took some digging and I just got too tired dealing with it last night. But this morning I got on the right track with the XML file (a 1000+ line XML file is a lot of fun to dig through looking for discrepancies).

madmatt said:
It makes sense that the replicated the configuration since the web site is a virtual server.

It took some digging and I just got too tired dealing with it last night. But this morning I got on the right track with the XML file (a 1000+ line XML file is a lot of fun to dig through looking for discrepancies).

Sometimes it is best to leave it and come back with a fresh head. You are lucky your the admin, in some places i restrict the F3 search feature. I bet that comes in handy for 1,000 lines

Ha, Ha. Yes. F3 is my friend.

madmatt said:
Ha, Ha. Yes. F3 is my friend.

Me personally, I like to place F3 on the pillow next to me and cuddle with it at night :laugh:

*has issues*

Don't we all (have issues).

Interesting problem, glad you found a fix for it, I was going to suggest to look into the connections...I was way off hehe.

(lovin F3 as well)

For anyone who was following this thread.

I was wrong. The XML config file did not replicate to both nodes. Once it failed back over to the first node the settings were lost. I had to make the changes to both XML configs for it to work correctly.

madmatt said:

We have begun to experinence this problem also. I am unsure what to look for in metabase.xml but all seems well. The correct IP addresses and other references to servers are all in there. In our case the HTTP Virtual Server Instance 100 refuses to load on the second node causing the services to all bounce back again.

How did manage to fix this problem. It's driving me insane.

Marky

You want to make sure the IP address (to the virtual server) and port 443 are bound to the Exchange Virtual Server in the IIS manager.

If it is then I will need more information, such as event errors (event viewer).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back