Evternal Firewire Harddrive

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Leaderz0rz, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Leaderz0rz

Leaderz0rz Wee

Well i have an external drive bay, with a harddrive in it, connected via firewire. the problem is. whenever i restart my computer i have to unplug the firewire cable and plug it back in. is this normal? becuase i really don't like to do it everytime ;p and i am running windowsxp pro

2. Leaderz0rz

Leaderz0rz Wee

no one knows? :(

3. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

i don't think anyone really does.

i played with an external firewire harddrive for a while and am pretty sure it was present after a restart just fine. don't know what the problem could be, sorry.
    :(

4. bush dogg

bush dogg Guest

I had this happen when I installed an external harddrive (firewire & USB) a few months ago I went into the bios and set mine not to boot from external drive. Mine boots fine now with the external drive connected I don't remember all the details off the top of my head if you have not got it working post back and I will go into my bios and will post all that I did. But it's in the bios :cool:

5. bush dogg

bush dogg Guest

Well I went into my bios tonight to remember what I did and here is what I did that worked for me.
    went to bios then advanced bios features then boot other device and set it to disabled.
    This worked for me hope it helps. :cool:

6. Leaderz0rz

Leaderz0rz Wee

yep it worked great, thanks alot bush dogg :)

7. Leaderz0rz

Leaderz0rz Wee

well its worked once??? now its not working lol

8. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

hm. go back into your bios and make sure that setting is saved..?

9. bush dogg

bush dogg Guest

Yep go into bios again and make sure you saved the changes.
    I remember one time I was in the bios to change some things and got to looking at other things and forget why I was in there the changes worked once the next time I booted they didn't then I remembered? When I saved the changes all worked fine.

10. Leaderz0rz

Leaderz0rz Wee

i made sure it was saved and everything, i still have to plug it in after i restart :(

11. bush dogg

bush dogg Guest

I'm at a loss then? maybe set your harddrive with the OS on it to first boot device? see what happens.