Every reboot resets clock!!!??!!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by gearjammer1980, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Ok fellow XP enthusiasts, got a weirdo problem. I love this XP Pro. I had it once on this motherboard, but uninstalled it due to a minor, but annoying problem..Here's the machine setup first:

FIC VB-601x m/b With VIA Chipset
    PII 266 @ 308MHz
    256MB PC133
    20GB Maxtor HD
    Savage 2000 Video Card
    SB PCI128 Sound

Here's the problem I am having. Since it looks like I'll be using XP for a while, thankfully, I need a solution. This machine runs 24/7/365 usually unless shutdown for maintanence or whathaveyou..Everytime I bring the PC back up from a reset or reboot, the system clock has reset back to 01-01-1601 @ 12:00:00am......Now, I haven't found a solution to this problem yet and wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem and is there a patch? Windows 9X has never done this, only XP and 2000. I can't find any sources for BIOS Flash Updates for this board anymore :( Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks..

p.s. CMOS battery is fine, by the way....

2. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

I would check your CMOS battery (the coin-cell looking thing on your mobo). It may be dead, especially if you have an old board.

3. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

scriptasylum must be having a bad day. :p Although........are you sure it is OK?

4. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

retracks statement :)

5. djwhite

djwhite OSNN Senior Addict

does it reset the time in the BIOS, or just windows? If it does it in the BIOS aswell it does sound like the CMOS battery.

6. Yes

Yes, CMOS battery is fine, 100% sure all the way. And besides, the CMOS battery only takes over when the machine isn't running, so it wouldn't cause the problem if I run the machine 24/7! And yes, it resets the system clock as well. Something about these VIA chipsets........

7. And to mention that the clock never had any problems with Windows Millenium or Mandrake Linux just a few days ago.......

8. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

I remember reading here a while ago about via chips & 4 in 1. Something about updating. Try doing a forum seach & see what you come up with.

9. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

Oops. :rolleyes: I guess I missed his "P.S."...