EU Penalties Against Microsoft Upheld

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by NetRyder, Dec 22, 2004.

1. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Source: Reuters

Anyone else find the WMP charge a little one-sided?
    What are your thoughts/comments on the issue in general?

2. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

i'm pissed ms is being told they can't give **** away...man does this suck

this decision should also affect windows security programs also...their firewall, their newly aquired anti spy programs like giant

this court is being unreasonable

3. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

yeah, i think they should be allowed to gice away whatever they want.

So what, people get their new machine home, setup it up, wack in a CD and....nothing cause theres no player?

Real is **** and anyone who prefers it to WMP is ....mental!

plus I bet QT comes with Macs

Windows shouldn't come with anything then, any drivers or programs, no notepad or solitare or defrag or anything since someone else also has a similar product

4. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

actually, their defrag comes from diskeeper i think. it looks very similar to the diskeeper app but just a cut down version.

5. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

Yeah it is, but theres other defrag programs, therefore windows shouldn't come with one.

Its all pointless anyway OEM's can put whatever crap they like on new systems. but If i buy an OS from abox then i want ot be aply to play music!

6. Petros

Petros Thief IV

That's too bad that a business gets told what it can and can't put in their own software.

7. hawedi

hawedi supermod@windows-board.de

OK - you may discuss about this foolish lawsuit. But don`t forget it was an US Software Company named SUN Microsystem who forced this anti-trust claim. Different to the legal dispute in USA it was ostensible a war of dominance in server markets.

8. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

That's exactly the point. Any modern OS should come with a basic set of tools and applications that make the out-of-the-box experience easy and convenient.

Basically, all this ruling is doing is putting Windows at a disadvantage compared to other systems, rather than making it a "level-playing field" as they claim to be doing. Let's say Joe User wants to buy a new computer. Is he going to buy a stripped down version of Windows that does absolutely nothing out-of-the-box, or a Mac with the iLife suite that does everything he needs right after he opens it? The choice is obvious.

The moral of the story? Don't ever become big and successful, because the underdogs will always be bitching and trying to pull you down. Absolutely pathetic.

And as you said, Khayman, Apple does bundle QT with the OS. Not only that, every new Macintosh ships with the whole iLife suite of applications, including Safari, iTunes, iMovie, iCal etc. What makes Apple immune to such laws? The fact that they own a miniscule fraction of the market? Why should that be a criterion anyway? Personally, I don't agree with the ruling at all, and I feel both Apple and MS should be allowed to include what they feel is appropriate. But if you're going to restrain, make it universal. Don't just aim for the biggest fish because that's where the money is.

Did you also know that MS proposed that it would include two other media players with the OS as a settlement, but the proposal was turned down?

I was very disappointed by the outcome of all this. The courts just pushed things a little too far. :ermm: