Error

WELL SAID J79!!!!

AND WELL SAID rushm001!!!

everybody dissables automatic updates, and now they want to blame microsft for this kind of happenstance

i'm not a fan of keeping auto update enabled, but as I always say, there is a price for just about every change a person makes to their computer, and perservarance is a price you need to pay when you dIssable auto update

great as always to see you j79

Good idea j79zlr! For lots of people, Linux can be a Bomb Shelter for this situation

what going on here

hi all can anyone tell me whats going on with my pc,
was on the internet yesterday when all of a sudden the pc came up with the window-there was a problem with the generic host 32 services blah blah send, dont send etc, then came a box saying thay the pc will shut down (which it did!!!!!!!!) and something about it was initiated by the NT authority /system and rpc whatever that is, now every time that i go onto the net the same thing is happening within five mins of being on im running windows xp home and mc affee virusscan 7.0 i have since reformatted the drive but the same thing keeps on happening have i got a virus or is there something more sinister going on that should know about:(

I'm thinking it actually took the h4x0rs longer than I expected to finally bring this exploit to full throttle. It was dubbed the next worse thing since the Win95 days and it's BSOD back when this RPC exploit was discovered last year.

puzzled

ok thanks all for the info,heres whats happening with my pc,downloaded the symantec tool for removal of the worm BUT when i ran it all through all my drives it said that there was NO worm on the pc????????????? what gives, anyway im now downloading the latest dat files from mcafee and have the patch from microsoft and ive tweaked the services so hopefully the pc wont shutdown and reboot, ahem.................heres hoping that it'll workand i can stay on long enough

thanks all
sparky

interesting msn issue

a friend of mine that i work with lives in the next town over and i havent been able to stop over there to check it out, if anyone knows a quick fix on this it'd be appreciated.

here's the situation. every time he gets online with his msn acct he runs into this message..

"system is shutting down. shut down instituted by nt authority/system."

after which point it counts down to :60 and reboots the pc.

i had him do a full (as full as can be with msn) uninstall of the software and reinstall.. he lasted 6 minutes and it booted him off again.

any ideas gents?

Check the front page here

This has been address many times now...

Threads merged...

A friend of mine has somehow disabled her RPC service and...of all things cant install the patches because she needs cryptology...well cryptology requires rpc...anyways how could you go about fixing/repairing rpc?

Originally posted by Leedogg
A friend of mine has somehow disabled her RPC service and...of all things cant install the patches because she needs cryptology...well cryptology requires rpc...anyways how could you go about fixing/repairing rpc?

Right click my computer>select manage>select "Services and Applications>select "Services" and scroll down to Remote Procedure Call (RPC) go to the recovery tab and select restart the sevice in all 3 options....

Then go to this link
http://microsoft.com/technet/treevi...in/MS03-026.asp
and download the patch for xp

Hope his helps

Alan

It already says everything is started in services, but all the symptoms on her computer say otherwise (cant copy and paste, other dependent services arent working...)

I can only guess rpc went bad somehow and needs to be fixed/repaired...

Originally posted by Alan
Right click my computer>select manage>select "Services and Applications>select "Services" and scroll down to Remote Procedure Call (RPC) go to the recovery tab and select restart the sevice in all 3 options....

Then go to this link
http://microsoft.com/technet/treevi...in/MS03-026.asp
and download the patch for xp

Hope his helps

Alan

kinda sucks if you cant get onto the net to see this solution within 60 seconds;) :p

Is there any relation between the RPC prob and the MSBlast worm?
From what i've seen in some previous threads is that people are using the "WindowsXP-KB823980-x86-ENU.exe" patch for the RPC problem, while others are using it for the MSBlast worm.

I didnt get infected as I got the patch way back when it was released and that port is blocked on my router AFAIK so Im good there but in the spirit of the virus I want to re-enable my windows update but I have a problem. When I go to CP-system-automatic updates it tells me that the service is unavailabe. What should I do to enable it?

Tnx

EDIT: nevermind, I got it.

Originally posted by Henyman
kinda sucks if you cant get onto the net to see this solution within 60 seconds;) :p

open up start > run and type in "shutdown.exe -a" (minus the quotes)

Now that the shutdown procedure has stopped, you have time to grab the patch

just to add some mystery and skull dugery to this whole episode

enyo and myself went looking on my box for all of the files associated with this little exploit

none there

also, the semantic tool said I ws not infected

yet I was getting the rpc shutdown

the patch did the trick for me

very intriguing, yes?

Enyo told me in the IRC chat room that the RPC failure can also occur when the blaster is trying to hit your computer

that was it geffy

as I would have surely been surprised that anything got on my box...me running three differant sandboxes at the same time

however, I had concern, because I do lend this laptop out at work, and these guys are all over the internet

I never worried before this, thinking I'd just tell anyone to deny any window that popped up

but my box was shutting down on the request for attack, and not on an attack

interesting this happened much more often on irc then any other time

but my box was shutting down on the request for attack, and not on an attack

interesting this happened much more often on irc then any other time

Yes well irc is known source of all kinds of attacks/ hackers so it does not suprise me your attack attemps increase as you are on an IRC chat server ...... well I have been busy lol I was not affected nor any computer on my home network neither was my girlfiends :) guess I take good care of her too huh .... but I have spent the last 2 days helping people I know who were affected ... seems saturday all these infected machines will start blasting windows updates site and try and take our rich Uncle Bill off line

:)

ps: you guys notice how slow it is to connect to windows updates since yesterday ??

Normal hundreds of thousands of machines world wide are infected and everyone is in a rush before Saturday to get patched

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back