Error

Originally posted by gonaads
The person that's got Windoz Me is probably laughin his ass off right about now...

Yeah, but the poor chap gets BSOD's every other day. :p

anyone else had problems with this causing system freezes?
:mad:

I did this update back in July... plus my Zone Alarm Pro has got them ports all shut up. :D

Originally posted by NetRyder
Yeah, but the poor chap gets BSOD's every other day. :p

lol
goss.gif

Heheh - I saw this coming a mile off, afer the IRC issue a week prior.

Already gots my firewall to block all non-essential ports (admittedly its BlackIce Server and easily by-passable but keeps the script kiddies out).

Had serveral mates and colleagues call me about this.
All from different parts of the UK, all on broadband, all on XP without a firewall (or even XP's firewall). (>_<)

This is probably not the best solution however the one I offered to my mates:-
Enabled XP firewall
Downloaded latest security hotfixes.
Virus scan.
Download a proper personal firewall and KEEP IT ACTIVE.
Disable XP firewall.

Worked everytime ^o^

AHA! I had a sticky thread about this exploit some months ago (fall of 2002) and it seemed to have been deleted! :mad:

W32.Blaster.Worm

1. Patch Your System with the appropriate MS03-026 Patch

2. After Installation of the Patch, Reboot your system.

3. Download and run "FIXBLAST".exe to remove the MSBLAST.exe file, terminate the process and remove added registry keys by the worm.

4. Reboot your pc one last time.

Visit WindowsUpdate.com more often and take note of our repeated warnings to keep your system updated.
Result:

Your System will no longer shutdown after 60secs, please follow the steps above to remove the worm off your computer and return your system to UPDATED safe status.

UPDATE: If your having problems installing the patch within the 60 sec, when you see the window pop up telling you 60 sec, Go to Start, Run and type in shutdown -a. This will cancel the shutdown attempt. Thanks Sub for this tip!

Download: Windows XP Patch | Windows 2000 Patch
http://download.microsoft.com/downl...e-b7a52a983f01/WindowsXP-KB823980-x86-ENU.exe (Windows XP)
http://download.microsoft.com/downl...b4b9d42049d5/Windows2000-KB823980-x86-ENU.exe (Windows 2000)

Download: FixBlast - W32.Blaster.Worm Removal Tool
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FixBlast.exe

View: Symantec Security Response - W32.Blaster.Worm Removal Tool
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html

Source: Neowin

and neowin practically nicely copied it off symantec :p

XP - System Shutdown problem

Hope you guys can be of some assistance here. I've installed XP Corp onto a friend's PC. As far as I know it was OK for a short while but then developed a problem. About a minute after switching on, she's presented with a System Shutdown box stating that the shutdown has been initiated by NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM. It then says that Windows will be restarted because the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service was terminated unexpectedly. Some times it gives the option to send a report to MSoft, and other times it doesn't. Your input would be more than appreciated if anyone has a clue what the cause is. Many Thanx in anticipation.

PurplePatch.

That's amazing! 3 minutes to get an answer. Many Many Thanx. I've informed my friend of the reply and she's well pleased. Would you believe that while I was still posting I got a call from my son's friend who had the exact same problem? It must be pretty common. Once again - I'm extremely grateful.:)

Another one...

Thread moved to Security
For the 5th time, can a Security Mod, plz merge this thread. Thx :D

Talk above sh!t hittin the fan... this is seriously out of hand now.

MicroSquish Windowz, the back door to everything. :p

can't blame microsft, though that's the intention of these attacks...to try to discredit the most pervasive, popular and succesfull operating system in the world

no matter what company would be as pervasive as microsoft, there would be this same type of security problems...this is not a windows problem, this is a social problem (obviously)

but everyone wants to blame ms, as if it's their fault somehow

let's knock down the big boy...that's the only issue here

I don't blame M$, they released the patch for this almost a month ago, and they try to keep your machine up to date on its own, but people disable that and then don't check Windows Update. If you are running the most popular and therefore most attacked OS in the world, do yourself a favor and keep your updates updated.

<< Booting into Linux :)

I couldn't agree more dealer. If microsoft were to test their software that well it would cost about 10 times as much and still have security exploits that people could discover.

Unless people are to completely disconnect ther computer from the internet and not download anything exploits like this will occur.

Talking about installing patches when they are released and then complaining about microsoft when you are hit by the problem is like not checking the oil in your car regularly enough the complaining to ford when your car don't start!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back