Error running javaws.exe "The directory name is invalid" - Permissions issue?

Discussion in 'Windows Server Systems' started by ScottFern, Apr 4, 2007.

1. ScottFern

ScottFern IT guy

am attempting to run a VPN client for Sabre. Once I installed their VPN client (installing JRE 1.5 + their custom icon) I am unable to successfully launch the VPN using the desktop icon as a power user in an active directory network environment, however as an admin it works fine.

C:\Program Files\java\jre1.5.0_11\bin\javaws.exe "The Directory name is Invalid" <----Error message I get when I launch VPN.

This is what the target location says - "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_11\bin\javaws.exe" http://sabrevpn.sabre.com/vpnclient/sslvpn-tn.jnlp

Now I have enabled access for our limited users by adding their group with modify access to the c:\program files\java folder and still I get this error. Any idea what this could be?!

Thanks in advance.

2. ScottFern

ScottFern IT guy

Answered my own question. Please delete!

3. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Hi Scott..

If you wouldn't mind sharing the answer for the benefit of the rest of the community, it would be appreciated :)

Thanks

4. ScottFern

ScottFern IT guy

I didn't post it because I was a little embarrassed! Anyway, the shortcut I was launching did not have the "Start In" field populated and thus when ran as a regular user could not find the path to the javaws.exe however I am still perplexed that my admin account could bypass this issue and launch it successfully?

5. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

it's possible the admin account had the path to the javaws.exe set in the environment variable while the local account did not..

In any case, we all overlook the sometimes simple issues because we are looking for something a little more complex.. don't sweat it. :)