Energy calculator for computers.

binoyxj

PrOuD InDiAn
There are online energy calculators available on the internet such as the Extreme power supply calculator. All you have to do is punch in the detailed configuration of your PC or laptop and click the calculate button. The aggregate of power consumed by all the components is displayed.

Link:- Extreme power supply calculator

Tells me my PC uses 621W :) Seems I may need to upgrade my PSU soon. Thats a bit close to its 650W maximum output.

Mine's at 410W

So I'm good with my 600W PSU. :D

Well mine comes out at about 300W - well below my maximum. These calculators always come out way below what I expect (esp. this time with the 9800GTX!), I wonder if I'm forgetting about something!

It still annoys me that they refer to current as 'amperage' though :p

current (kûr'?nt)

1. A flowing movement in a liquid, gas, plasma, or other form of matter, especially one that follows a recognizable course.
2. A flow of positive electric charge. The strength of current flow in any medium is related to voltage differences in that medium, as well as the electrical properties of the medium, and is measured in amperes. Since electrons are stipulated to have a negative charge, current in an electrical circuit actually flows in the opposite direction of the movement of electrons. See also electromagnetism, Ohm's law. See Note at electric charge.

Our Living Language : Electric current is the phenomenon most often experienced in the form of electricity. Any time an object with a net electric charge is in motion, such as an electron in a wire or a positively charged ion jetting into the atmosphere from a solar flare, there is an electric current; the total current moving through some cross-sectional area in a given direction is simply the amount of positive charge moving through that cross-section. Current is sometimes confused with electric potential or voltage, but a voltage difference between two points (such as the two terminals of a battery) means only that current can potentially flow between them; how much does in fact flow depends on the resistance of the material between the two points. Electrical signals transmitted through a wire generally propagate at nearly the speed of light, but the current in the wire actually moves very slowly: pushing electrons into one end of the wire is rather like pushing a marble into one end of a tube filled with marbles—a marble (or electron) gets pushed out the other end almost instantly, even though the marbles (or electrons) inside move only incrementally.
Source:
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary
Copyright © 2002 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Main Entry: Ohm's law
Pronunciation: 'Omz-
Function: noun
: a law in electricity: the strength or intensity of an unvarying electrical current is directly proportional to the electromotive force and inversely proportional to the resistance of the circuit

E=I/R

E = Voltage Volts
I = Amperage (amps)
R = Resistance (Ohms)

Amperage is current

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-amperage.htm

Electric current is the flow (movement) of electric charge. The SI unit of electric current is the ampere, and electric current is measured using an ammeter. For the definition of the ampere, see the Ampere article.

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_current

The ampere, in practice often shortened to amp, (symbol: A) is a unit of electric current, or amount of electric charge per second. The ampere is an SI base unit, and is named after André-Marie Ampère, one of the main discoverers of electromagnetism.

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampere

The Ampere is a unit of current. The term amperage is looking for current expressed in amperes.
Current can also be expressed in coulombs per second, which is what Amperes are.
Volts are expressed in Joules per coulomb.

My head hurts now. :(

Heh heh heh, yeah, and they get to be the size of baseballs, and just as hard. :D

Thanks for the link. I was just talking about this today. I guess I am fine. :)

those magnets seem cool, man! thanks for the info

too bad we only get to play with electromagnets :p hehe

Lol i got 249 watts needed.. I have a 400 w powersupply and it says theres no power for additional devices in the free USB-drives.. Hmm?...

The power supplied to the USB drives isn't necessarily dependent on the power supply. The USB specifications, plus the motherboard really determine that. After all, those thin circuit board traces can only take so much amperage before they burn up, so the USB specifications are there to limit the maximum each USB port is supposed to supply, and it's up to the chipset/motherboard manufacturer to implement it to specifications.

Which is why some high-power USB devices will have a dual USB dongle so you can draw power from two USB ports instead of just one.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back