End of Support for Windows XP Service Pack 1 Approaching

Discussion in 'Submitted News' started by madmatt, Jun 7, 2006.

1. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

End of support for Windows XP Service Pack 1
    If you are running Windows XP Service Pack 1 or a previous version of Windows XP, you should upgrade to Service Pack 2. Starting October 10, 2006, Microsoft will end assisted support and security updates for Service Pack 1 as part of the life-cycle policy for all Microsoft software. If you currently use Windows XP, we recommend the free upgrade to Service Pack 2 to continue receiving the latest security updates.

More Information: Microsoft Lifecycle | Service Pack 2
    Source: Microsoft At Home & At Work (June 6, 2006 Edition)

2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Geez. How long has SP2 been out now - seems like 2 years? MS is really getting aggressive with this stuff.

They must be making room for SP3, but that's not out until mid-2007 :eek:

3. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

I have to say, once a new serice pack is proven support for previous service packs should be eliminated as soon as possible

unless a person can demonstrate a pervasive reason not to use tthe new service pack becuase of an app or situtation the previous service pack was better suited...if they can do that they should be given license to keep running with support whichever version they paid for, however I don't understand why ms would support a version that's proven to be corrected and the corrections are available to everyone that has a valid license

4. kcnychief

Sad part is though there are still a lot of places that haven't migrated to SP2 yet. I guess this will force the hand a bit.

5. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

not really...most people that haven't migrated out of ignorance and/or they aren't set up to recieve the notifications...these peeps won't even know there is no longer support for their version of the os

others haven't migrated becuase they have a licensing issue (*secret code for cracked version*)

I guess there are some that have just been afraid, as I am of new service packs, but as soon as my buds tell me all is well I apply the pack...some don't ever, so I guess this will force those hands

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  6. omg its nlm

omg its nlm lvl 17 Hax Folding Team

Hmm maybe my dumb work will push it out soon.

7. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Good to know. :)

8. ray_gillespie

ray_gillespie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Is this for real? I thought they were ending at SP2?

9. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

They should have stopped it this year in January.

10. kcnychief

Nothing set in stone, but it has been rumored for awhile. Last I heard it's pretty official, but won't be out until way past Vista is released.

Valid point, but usually easier said than done. Companies are not typically on the cutting edge of technology, most noteably when it comes to Operating Systems. Keep in mind, the compatability issues are not usually related to Microsoft applications, rather internal or 3rd party apps that haven't been QA'ed enough to work with newer technologies, such as SP2.