End of Support for Windows XP Service Pack 1 Approaching

madmatt

Awesome is as awesome does.
Political Access
End of support for Windows XP Service Pack 1
If you are running Windows XP Service Pack 1 or a previous version of Windows XP, you should upgrade to Service Pack 2. Starting October 10, 2006, Microsoft will end assisted support and security updates for Service Pack 1 as part of the life-cycle policy for all Microsoft software. If you currently use Windows XP, we recommend the free upgrade to Service Pack 2 to continue receiving the latest security updates.

More Information: Microsoft Lifecycle | Service Pack 2
Source: Microsoft At Home & At Work (June 6, 2006 Edition)

Geez. How long has SP2 been out now - seems like 2 years? MS is really getting aggressive with this stuff.

They must be making room for SP3, but that's not out until mid-2007 :eek:

I have to say, once a new serice pack is proven support for previous service packs should be eliminated as soon as possible

unless a person can demonstrate a pervasive reason not to use tthe new service pack becuase of an app or situtation the previous service pack was better suited...if they can do that they should be given license to keep running with support whichever version they paid for, however I don't understand why ms would support a version that's proven to be corrected and the corrections are available to everyone that has a valid license

Sad part is though there are still a lot of places that haven't migrated to SP2 yet. I guess this will force the hand a bit.

kcnychief said:
I guess this will force the hand a bit.
not really...most people that haven't migrated out of ignorance and/or they aren't set up to recieve the notifications...these peeps won't even know there is no longer support for their version of the os

others haven't migrated becuase they have a licensing issue (*secret code for cracked version*)

I guess there are some that have just been afraid, as I am of new service packs, but as soon as my buds tell me all is well I apply the pack...some don't ever, so I guess this will force those hands

Last edited:
kcnychief said:

Is this for real? I thought they were ending at SP2?

kcnychief said:
Geez. How long has SP2 been out now - seems like 2 years? MS is really getting aggressive with this stuff.

They should have stopped it this year in January.

ray_gillespie said:
Is this for real? I thought they were ending at SP2?

Nothing set in stone, but it has been rumored for awhile. Last I heard it's pretty official, but won't be out until way past Vista is released.

perris said:
I have to say, once a new serice pack is proven support for previous service packs should be eliminated as soon as possible

unless a person can demonstrate a pervasive reason not to use tthe new service pack becuase of an app or situtation the previous service pack was better suited...if they can do that they should be given license to keep running with support whichever version they paid for, however I don't understand why ms would support a version that's proven to be corrected and the corrections are available to everyone that has a valid license

Valid point, but usually easier said than done. Companies are not typically on the cutting edge of technology, most noteably when it comes to Operating Systems. Keep in mind, the compatability issues are not usually related to Microsoft applications, rather internal or 3rd party apps that haven't been QA'ed enough to work with newer technologies, such as SP2.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back