Encyclopedia of XP tweaks

I wonder if Fujifilm have copyright on that word?
If Microsoft can get copyright infringement on Lindows, then I reckon your in deeeep twubble dealer, that second job may come in handy.

:D :D :D

ok, alot of people have asked about speeding internet...this tweak was originally posted by mnosteele, and seems to speed page loading in about 80% of the people that try this, although it might not work at all on aol...understand, I have absoulutely no knowledge of modem, or internet, so, back up, give this a shot...see if it helps, it seems to speed me up a little bit.

This tweak should help web pages load very fast, not a great effect on downloads, but web surfing should be faster. FIRST AND FOREMOST MAKE A RESTORE POINT OR WRITE DOWN YOUR CURRENT REGISRTY ENTRIES PRIOR TO TRYING - JUST IN CASE!!!!

hit that regedit shortcut you put on your desktop,(very usefull shortcut, isn't it, came up with that one myself...hehe)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\ServiceProvider

On the right change these entries: (ALL values are HEXIDECIMAL)

DnsPriority - " 7 "
HostsPriority - " 6 "
LocalPriority - " 5"
NetbtPriority - " 8 "

Write down the current values PRIOR to changing them, to change the value right mouse click on the value and select modify and enter the values above once you have done all of them reboot to take effect and see how fast your pages load

Let me be the first to say: "WOW" and thank you dealer, what a difference!

and wouldn't it be greatly appreciated if someone could put all the tweaks mentioned in this post into one big, beautiful .exe!

dealer, just a request that you edit your posts to use apostrophes instead of dashes...it took me a few tries before i gave up trying to type negative numbers in hexadex! lol

DnsPriority - 7
HostsPriority - 6
LocalPriority - 5
NetbtPriority - 8

somebody please tell me i wasn't the only one :)

hmm...never tried typing them in backwards...but i did forget to back up the registry...lol...nothing bad happened yet so far tho so...

Originally posted by freightgod
Let me be the first to say: "WOW" and thank you dealer, what a difference!

and wouldn't it be greatly appreciated if someone could put all the tweaks mentioned in this post into one big, beautiful .exe!

dealer, just a request that you edit your posts to use apostrophes instead of dashes...it took me a few tries before i gave up trying to type negative numbers in hexadex! lol
:)

fixed...thanx

Re: ...

Originally posted by dejav00
...i did forget to back up the registry...lol...nothing bad happened yet so far tho so...

these were my default values, incase you didn't write your own

down;
DnsPriority - 7d0
HostsPriority - 1f4
LocalPriority - 1f3
NetbtPriority - 7d1

All hexidecimal values

I know, I just posted this next tweak on another thread, I don't care...this is the most powerful tweak I have ever seen, and it belongs on this thread too;

One of the best tools you will ever come accross, it's the most usefull word in the english language, and it was created here, at the xperience forum;

the word is;

FUJISM....this word is like a wild card in poker...it'll fill in whatever word is not available at the moment, either because the usuall word is i nprior use, or you just can't think of it, or, maybe the perfect word doesn't exist...fujism s a perfect camelien, and is a perfect fit at all times.

further, you may, at your discretion,conjugate fujism, ie; last week he fujied, and; where are all the fijis?or ; you are such a fujer....

it is impossible to use fujism improperly, as it is a wild card

there is one restriction to fujism...once fujism is claimed in a conversation, it's meaning remains constant for the rest of that conversation, there is only one wildcard per conversation

now, this is a very usefull language tweak....feel free to use this new tweak, as indescriminantly as you want to, for all purposes on this forum, and in life

Well in that case let me say, I'd like to give Anna Kanyakomoverere a right good fujiing.

I suppose I'd best add a tweak :-

If you want to get rid of the Recycle bin icon from the Desktop go into your registry to here:-
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\ShellFolder
and change the "Attributes" to show 77 01 70 20
and change "Call for Attributes" to show 0

:cool: very nice tweak for those of us that don't drag our trash into the dealer bin

hello, everyone... I've got a few tweaks and info to add to this great thread...

1. link to Laurens "Prefetcher"-tweak

This is an unique technique for XP, which could improve the performance significantly by tweaking the prefetcher. Recommended hardware: PIII 800 or higher, 512M RAM or more.

1. run "regedit";
2. goto [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters\EnablePrefetcher];
3. Set the value to either 0-Disable, 1-App launch prefetch, 2-Boot Prefetch, 3-Both ("3" is recommended).
4. reboot.

It will decrease the boot time but double and increase the performance of your XP. Try it!

I've made my own REG file for this tweak.

2. I've made a REG file for tweaking your menu delay to 0. I've also included the another REG file to restore the menu delay to the default of 100.

3. Here's the REG file I created for increasing your icon cache to 8192, as recommended in previous posts.

4. Here's my almost master REG file, which does the above 3 tweaks, in addition to many others from this website and others. I recommend reading (editing) it before you run it, just so you will get an idea of what it does.

5. Here's my Internet Explorer Google quick search tweak REG file, made in response to reading this article from our host, XP-erience.org

6. Finally, my BAT file that will uninstall Windows Messenger quickly and easily.

how you like 'em!

"Brand" your XP

Offered "As is" - I friend sent this to me and thought I would share. I am starting the project myself tomorrow...

1. Start up Notepad and creat a new registry file (*.reg) and copy and paste the following into it:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f6-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}]
@="YOUR TITLE HERE"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f6-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}\DefaultIcon]
@="YOUR ICON HERE"
00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,68,00,70,00,6c,00,69,00,\
6e,00,6b,00,2e,00,69,00,63,00,6f,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f6-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}\InProcServer32]
@=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,\
00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,73,00,68,00,\
64,00,6f,00,63,00,76,00,77,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,00,00
"ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f6-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}\Instance]
"CLSID"="{3f454f0e-42ae-4d7c-8ea3-328250d6e272}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f6-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}\Instance\InitPropertyBag]
"CLSID"="{13709620-C279-11CE-A49E-444553540000}"
"method"="ShellExecute"
"Command"="YOUR TITLE HERE"
"Param1"="YOUR FUNCTION HERE"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f6-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f6-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f6-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\{2559a1f6-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f6-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}\shellex\MayChangeDefaultMenu]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f6-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}\ShellFolder]
"Attributes"=dword:00000000

2. Edit where it says YOUR ICON HERE to a path to an icon (ex. c:\icon.ico), it must be 24x24 pixels and in *.ico format.

3. Edit both places where it says YOUR TITLE HERE to what you want it to say in the Start Menu (ex. Elranzer Homepage).

4. Edit where it says YOUR FUNCTION here to what you want it to do when you click it, it can be anything... your website, a local HTML document, a program, a Windows funtion, whatever your imagination can provide (ex. http://www.elranzer.com).

5. Save this file as brand.reg, double-click it to enter
in your information, and refresh Explorer (log off/on) to see it in the Start Menu!! This works in both Home and Professional (and probably 64-Bit Professional) Editions!

HAVE FUN!

hey morpheus2k , I've done one of those tweaks/customizations. actually... I've made several. wanna see? I've attached a file, "scream_branding.rar", which shows an example.

Morpheus2k I have a question for you! and Outlook questions

I downloaded ur .reg file and edit view the file.
This is problaby your backup for outlook? I was wondering how about can I do that for myself? or how to backup outlooks e-mails and addressbooks without third party software

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB\WAB4\Wab File Name]
@="C:\\backup\\Jonathan\\Outlook email\\addressbook.wab"

thanxs for your .reg file, and whoever that has helped me!

Re: Morpheus2k I have a question for you! and Outlook questions

Originally posted by Hercules
I downloaded ur .reg file and edit view the file.
This is problaby your backup for outlook? I was wondering how about can I do that for myself? or how to backup outlooks e-mails and addressbooks without third party software

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB\WAB4\Wab File Name]
@="C:\\backup\\Jonathan\\Outlook email\\addressbook.wab"

thanxs for your .reg file, and whoever that has helped me!

I think you mean crapito...

Yeah, he left HIS current info in the important places - took me a while to figure out why my IE was "weird", and had the name of some company, instead of Microsoft...

Not a tweak but almost...

Hey Guys! Excellent tweaks!

About the ClearType Technology...

...there's a way to tune the settings for ClearType (like blurring and other stuff). Just go here!

Have Fun!

whew, thanx guys... glad to see more guys sharing good ideas, this is a very good thread, thanx for adding....I havn't tried your posts yet, but I surely will.

You do that, at least I know that after I tweaked ClearType it wasn't so blurry and thick as it was before...

Hercules: my Outlook "backup" you are referring to is really just telling Windows what address book to use and where to save it. I find it much easier to have an "Outlook email" folder in my "backup" directory than to let Windows put (hide) it somewhere else. this store folder tweak is one of my first, and most important, ones I always apply.

btw: I also change Outlook Express' store folder [Tools->Options->Maintenance->Store Folder] to another custom backup folder, the same one I put my address book in actually, so when I want to manually backup my emails, I just go to my Outlook Email folder and use WinRAR to compress everything into 1 file. I know there are some 3rd party apps that do essentially the same, but I much prefer knowing that I can manually backup something as important as my emails, rather than trusting such a task to someone else's programs and ideas. why let someone else do it when you can do it yourself? automation is a great thing, but so is a job done correctly. (I am not really a fan of behind-the-scenes stuff for critical data, if you couldn't already tell.) if you have any more questions on backing up Outlook Express, email me.

morpheus2k: you are right: I did leave my data in my reg files. hope it didn't freak you out to much when you added them to your registry. that's why I tried to admonish people about reading (editing) my files before installing so they would know what they are getting into. nothing "bad", but still... reading "Anomen Enterprises Ltd." at the top of your IE window might be a little weird... :)

edit: so, morpheus2k, assuming you merged my scream_branding file into your registry, how did it come out? did you get the scream icon on your start panel? does it take you to my homepage? I know it works fine on my system, but I haven't had anyone else try it on theirs before, so I'd appreciate some feedback. aren't forums a wonderful thing? thanks...

Originally posted by crapito
morpheus2k: reading "Anomen Enterprises Ltd." at the top of your IE window might be a little weird... :)

edit: so, morpheus2k, assuming you merged my scream_branding file into your registry, ... [/B]

Hi Crapito,
I did glance at it (the file), and caught your homepage url and save location, but missed Anomen completely - I am building a sorta Egyptian theme for the system, which is sort of ironic, as Anomen sounds egyptian...

And I didn't know you had listed a Branding tweak (still don't see it either?) - I had a friend send this to me, as I said in my original post.

Too tired right now to try it, and still puzzling over which does what, where, but hope to play later tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks

ok, morpheus2k; sounds good. my second post in this topic has my branding tweak, "scream_branding.rar"; my first post has links to my other reg files.

btw: "anomen" is my full, legal name. it's a word I created from the Greek suffix -nomen, which means "name", and the Greek prefix a-, which is a negative; thus "anomen" literally means "no name". not quite Egyptian, but not very American/common either... :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back