Encyclopedia of XP tweaks

Hi dealer,
long time no chit-chat, this won't do:(

Any way to change the icon for the dealer bin just make your way to the address you mention above but instead of "ShellFolder" go to "DefaultIcon" and replace the 3 icons with the full address of the 3 icons you would prefer.
:D :D

P.S.
I posted a tweak for you in my post "Wecome Back"

Or you can right-click on the desktop and go to Display Properties, Desktop Tab, Customize Desktop Button and change icon for trash.

Oh no,
how can you put that in type, thats not a tweak, thats doing it the way Bill Gates wants you to do it. Get your little boo-boo into the registry and fiddle about in there, its much more fun (and dangerous):D

You know me Dirk - conservative through & through. If there's a way to do it that keeps someone from a possible self inflicted wound, that's my first choice.;)

now allan, that wasn't fair...whoda thunk Bill decided, well, for this particular icon, we'll do it differant then those other icons, and you will have to change it using this particular method...so there it is, plain as dough (I don't know, just thought that up), and dirk and myself feeling like dupes...I think you and Bill conspired against me.:D

One user system

I stumbled on this accidently, and didn't even realize it until I hit some forums and they made me realize most of you have 2 "users" for your systems - one is yourself, and then the Admin account.

If you want an Admin account, and no others, simply cancel the User Account wizard (or whatever it is called), that auto-runs first time you boot after install of XP, and do an immediate reboot.

The only account on the machine is the Admin account after the reboot, AND you don't ever get prompted for a logon...

M2K

tryed that, does not work on home, but if I did something differantly, and it did work on home, I do have users, so this is not what I'm looking for...thanx, tho, for the effort

ok, gonna add something real simple this time, and alot of you know these, but most don't...not realy tweaks, but fast computing...here we go

I hate aiming the mouse, specially when one or two buttons does the trick faster...best one touch trick,

1)hit f5 when you want to refresh a page...(get used to this, it's much better

2)windows key+r...btings up run, right quick, one step

3)windows key+f (find)... brings up search files, right quick

4)windows key+f1....brings up help...not so quick, but faster then

those are the ones I use all the time, especially f5 for refresh, and windows key+r for run, and +f for search....here's the official list of them all;

The Windows icon key located on the bottom of your PC's keyboard is a little-used treasure. Don't ignore it. It is the shortcut anchor for the following 10 commands.

Windows: Display Start menu.
Windows + D: Minimize or restore all Windows.
Windows + E: Display Windows Explorer.
Windows + Tab: Cycle through buttons on taskbar.
Windows + F: Display find: all files.
Windows + Ctrl + F: Display find: computer.
Windows + F1: Display Help.
Windows + R: Display Run command.
Windows + break: Display system properties dialog box.
Windows + shift + M: Undo minimize all windows.

once you get used to using these, you'll wonder why you hadn't

Originally posted by dealer
tryed that, does not work on home, but if I did something differantly, and it did work on home, I do have users, so this is not what I'm looking for...thanx, tho, for the effort

Yeah, I use PRO, and it does work like a charm, if you are the only user and don't want the headaches of multiple accounts hanging around...

ok, I have a laptop, if you too, or an lcd screen, you must try clear type technology. it greatly increases clarity of text on laptop and LCD screens. By default this feature does not start until after you log on. But with this tweak you'll be able to make it start as windows loads so it will be enabled on the welcome login screen.
hit the regedit shortcut,

Navigate to HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop.
Locate the key FontSmoothingType.
Change the value to 2.
Restart.

ps...dirk diggler, two posts down, posts an alternative method, if this method doesn't work on your box

Nice tweak...

Thanks Dealer, the MaxIconCache works really great.

I'm in 32k 1152*864
My XP menu was quite slow in 32k colors (OK in 16k) & all XP esthetic effects... was irritating.

Since I've used the MaxIconCache = 8192, my XP menu open very quickly, and that in 32k color, with all XP effects (I've also put MenuShowDelay = 0 instead of 400).

------------
TB 1000@1400, Asus A7V, Radeon SDR, 640 RAM

Dealer,

I could Kiss Your Ass at the Public Square and give you 30 Days to raise a crowd. Your tip about uninstalling MSN Messenger saved my day and kept me from doing a reformat and install. I'll go into the details so if anyone else experiences this problem they can have an idea.

I was using Microsoft Office 2000 and last night I upgraded to Office XP. I did not realize that (and I may be wrong Still) Outlook XP integrates tightly with messenger (Which I had set to disable the running of it through XP Tuneup). When I went to launch Outlook it took almost a minute to initialize and then when I went to Event Viewer I kept seeing DCOM errors saying that the server (CLSID) did not register with DCOM in the Required timeout.

I searched Technet and found nothing of help there. I Tried using the Repair Feature of the Install Disk to no avail. So I uninstalled it and then for grins and giggles thought I'd see if OE launched any faster....heh...right....took it about a minute and a half to launch and I was also getting the DCOM errors with OE too. I reinstalled Office XP and still kept getting the same problems.

I searched through the Microsoft Communities site and started seeing a small pattern regarding Microsoft Messenger. I tried to uninstall it by removing hide from the sysoc.inf file but after doing so it still didn't show up in the add/remove Windows components. A friend of mine I was on the phone with at the time did the same thing and his showed up instantly. (Interestingly enough, the first time I ever installed XP I found that trick and tried it and it worked flawlessly, but not once since (Three or Four Installs)). Once he uninstalled MSN Messenger his OE worked like a charm and once I found your post my Outlook worked like a dream too.

One other Caveat...I have read that if you uninstall Messenger, Microsoft insists that you have it on your puter so they will surrepetitiously stick it in an update that will show up the next time you go to Windows update. I haven't verified this personally so I am only relaying what I have read at another site.

Bottom Line Dealer is Thank You Very Much.

Hi dealer,
just a thought about your Font Smoothing tweak. I have a stand-alone comp and using the .Default Key doesn't seem to work on mine (perhaps my eyes are playing up). I have to use either the CURRENT_USER or HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-######### Keys.

Originally posted by Valek
Dealer,

I could Kiss Your Ass at the Public Square Bottom Line Dealer is Thank You Very Much.

like I said, this helps me more then it helps you, so thanx for letting me know how much help I've been, now, if you really want to give thanx, something you do, to speed your box, or simply speed your computing...post that on this thread, and people will use this thread for referances for time to come....that would be the nuts

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler
Hi dealer,
just a thought about your Font Smoothing tweak. I have a stand-alone comp and using the .Default Key doesn't seem to work on mine (perhaps my eyes are playing up). I have to use either the CURRENT_USER or HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-######### Keys.

leave it to you, dirk, thanx for reminding me that everybodys box is differant, and then again, thanx for finding the solution on your box so people can try your method too...you are "THE REGISTRY MAGISTRATE"...and thanx again for keeping my posts as accurate as possible :cool:

Like I said it just doesn't seem to work on mine, but then again I can't really see much of a change on mine so I could be deluding myself.
Anyway thought I'd put a tweak up for you:-

Browsing speed up tweak:-

When you connect to a web site your computer sends information back and forth. Although WinXP and win2000 has a pretty efficient DNS cache, you can increase its overall performance by increasing its size.

You can do this with the registry entries below:

************begin copy and paste***********
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameters]
"CacheHashTableBucketSize"=dword:00000001
"CacheHashTableSize"=dword:00000180
"MaxCacheEntryTtlLimit"=dword:0000fa00
"MaxSOACacheEntryTtlLimit"=dword:0000012d

************end copy and paste***********

make a new text file and rename it to dnscache.reg. The copy and paste the above into it and save it. Then merge it into the registry.

Don't know I took it from over yonder without asking, I would assume so. At any rate it cannot hurt your system.

Here's a silly tweak if thats allowed:-
Are you sick and tired of having to open a folder and click "Tools" and then click "Folder Options".
Well if you right-click your Desktop and choose "New" "Folder" and call it:-
Folder Options.{6DFD7C5C-2451-11d3-A299-00C04F8EF6AF}
This will give you almost instant access to this wonderous little tool

I want to congratulate dirk on that method of posting registry tweaks...that's pretty cool

Re: ...

Originally posted by dejav00
I want to congratulate dirk on that method of posting registry tweaks...that's pretty cool

VERY COOL, FILLED WITH FUJISM

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back