ENA Certification

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by Brad, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Brad

Brad Moderator Political User Folding Team

I have to get an ENA (Extreme Networks Associate) Certification for my new job. Any pointers for the test?

2. Son Goku

Son Goku No lover of dogma

Haven't heard about this cert, but one site the teachers had us looking at for the CCNA

www.celticrover.com

I think it was. Do they have a section for ENA? It seemed pretty good as far as presenting the exact sorta questions we saw on Cisco's site for the chapter exams and what not, and also provided instant feedback as to how one did (and what the correct answers are)... Would have to browse around a bit more to see.

If they don't, perhaps another site that presents you with the same sort of questions which you'll see on the cert exam so you can practice, see how you're doing, and what you need to bone up on would be of assistance...

3. mlakrid

mlakrid OSNN BASSMASTER Political User Folding Team

/BUMP

Any info on this cert?

I got to get CCNA, and any certifications relating to networking always looks nice. Who is ENA sponsored by?

Mike A!

4. Brad

Update: I got mine. Pretty hard test, but not as hard as the CCNA.

ENA is the Extreme Networks Associate certification. They are a competitor of Cisco and have much, much, much more superior product than cisco.

5. mlakrid

Link?

If they have a much more superior product we should see them creeping in on Ciscos market share I would hope?
    EDIT: Also, in what aspect is it more superior? Do a lookup on Cisco and you will see the history, they made routers/switches mainstream, doubtful anyone will make a more "superior" prodcut, remember its all relative to what you are using each device for...

I never heard of them...

6. Brad

7. mlakrid

AHA

LOL!

8. mlakrid

Do they have any layer 3 devices?

All I see are switches....

??

Edit Oh god, Im soo tired, I even got the layer wrong...

Last edited: Aug 22, 2005
  9. Brad

The switches provide L3 functions with an additional license. One thing that I really like about them is the fact that we realize that we dont cover all of the network hardware that you will need so we work well with other vendors.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  10. Brad

Well, I got the ENA back in September of 2005 and I just passed the ENS. ENS is the next level up from the ENA. :) Good day today :)

11. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Extreme make some of the worst networking equipment available. Better off with Cisco, Juniper and Foundry.

12. Brad

Anything to back up that claim or is it purely bias?

13. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

extreme is touch and go with their QA. Some of their products are fantastic for backend stuff, but they have fallen off lately.

Cisco tends to be overpriced (in particular their support contracts). I'm becoming a bigger fan of Foundry lately having just put in a SuperX 800.

I'd love to get some Force10 equipment in to try but probably won't get funding for that :)

14. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

I work at a datacentre. It has been demonstrated to me why Extreme equipment is not used in networks where latency needs to be kept to a minimum and availability needs to be kept at a maximum.

I have seen large quantities of Extreme equipment being replaced with Cisco and Alcatel equipment.

Doesn't exactly instill confidence in Extreme equipment.

15. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Lord: are these the same people that taught you that mac address traverse router hops? :p

j/k man! :p

In this case, I tend to agree with you that Extreme switch gear tends to fail at the most inapproriate moments. We were looking at switching out some switch gear and was deciding between Cisco, Foundry, and Extreme. We liked the Extreme gear because we use an Avaya phone system and Extreme has a close relationship with Avaya. After talking with actual customers and hearing various horror stories of failures, we eliminated them from consideration.

16. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

No different people, different company, same building :p

I strongly suspect I was having my chains yanked on that subject though. I do seem to land myself in those situations :p

I have been told that Extreme kit goes into poor mens datacentres or datacentres where cutting corners is paramount over service quality and reliability.

We only run into issues with our cisco, juniper and foundry stuff when our usage exceeds product specifications. :)